Is there anything good happening in the DR now?

Portofino

Jun 29, 2003
It seems that more than 50% of postings here are horror stories and bad news. Many posters here seem quite knowledgeable and educated, yet still have gotten "hosed" in one way or another. Was it due to carelessness, too trusting?

Is there any good news, money to be made, opportunites etc.? I'm not being sarcastic, honestly interested. I've been to the DR 30 times in the last 3.5 years. The problems I had there were self-inflicted and stupidity, not due to carefully planned moves. Last trip was May 02.

As I'm new here at this forum, it would be nice to know which of you lives in the Sosua area, and possibly a little about who you are and what you do, how you ended up living there etc. Sure would be an interesting way to initially meet online and possibly in Sosua!

Bob:cool:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You want some good news?

How about Cap Cana, the most successful real estate project in the Caribbean? US$120 million to date...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Just analyze the situation. Remember Gone with the Wind philosophy of even in bad times there are winners.

There are a lot of profits and gains to be made here now. Anyone with liquidity can buy out businesses for cheap. Many who borrowed in dollars, or in pesos (with floating interest rates) are hurting badly. It's a buyers market. Could be said we were living a bubble, and the bubble burst helped by overspending and overborrowing and yes, excessive government corruption and bad moves, some for ignorance, others in the name of politics. Meanwhile, those who do not have access to earnings in US$ need to buckle down.

Fingers crossed that the country will gain from better banking supervision, just maybe the country and its productive sectors will focus on revenue generating sectors (exports), instead of on selling expensive imported goods. Some of the country's local goods producer companies that have survived the intense foreign competition are getting a break and gaining the favor of consumers that cannot afford the more expensive imported goods. These could be winners.

Conclusion... There are many winners in this re-engineering of the economy. And yes, the DR will bounce back.

Check the literature on investing anywhere. The profits are greater when coming in during the bad times. Lots of money to be made here, just do your homework.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The current hiccups will pass and we'll all go back to our tranquil lives. Lots of good things happening - business in the Zonas are booming, somehow and I don't understand why, more and more American businesses are enquiring to place themselves here.

Lots and lots of business opportunities if you are business minded - don't enter into them without the necessary preparation and much due diligence. I see that you've enquired about a tiling business in another thread. If you market in the right community, you'll get business. If you know about tiles, why not look at manufacturing? If you want to know about general business opportunities that I see daily around me, shoot me an e-mail and I'll do a brain-dump for you.

Some of our real estate experts on the board are buying now. It is a buyer's market.

Caution, don't enter anything lightly, undercapitalized or without the right contacts in the right places. Also, short term returns are difficult to see just now. It is a longer term play I think.

Lots of business people doing very good business right at the moment. It depends on what you want and what you will do to get what you want.

Sabor_NYC

Jan 25, 2003
Undoubtedly, great investment environment. Although certainly not short-term, in my opinion at least 2 years and over. Just stay away from local financing.

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
I just returned after meeting with some people on the north coast. There are a number of large projects on the go in the area. Realtors claim business is brisk, the small amount of developers I spoke with are extremely happy.

Admittatedly Sosua is hurting for people in bars, restaurants etc. but don't listen (that much) to the doom and gloomers. The place I just left has little in common with much of what I am hearing here (at least from the people I met).

Example: Cabarete is fetching what I consider very high prices. I checked actual books of a couple of associations. The rentals are virtually full and priced quite high. The restaurants are full each night and the beach is packed in the day. Cabarete may be slightly different due to what may be less of a decline in tourism than other areas. I can also attest to some fairly substantial real estate developments in different areas on the North Coast. While there are undoubtedly some good bargains (I saw some) there are few in the higher range of properties. People with quality homes with great views or on beaches are doing just fine.

Just an opinion. If some jump on this saying "well you haven't been here for thirty years blah, blah, blah." so be it. This is just the views of someone who was there yesterday.

FRANKY R

Jul 11, 2003
not likely.

Dolores said:
Just analyze the situation. Remember Gone with the Wind philosophy of even in bad times there are winners.

There are a lot of profits and gains to be made here now. Anyone with liquidity can buy out businesses for cheap. Many who borrowed in dollars, or in pesos (with floating interest rates) are hurting badly. It's a buyers market. Could be said we were living a bubble, and the bubble burst helped by overspending and overborrowing and yes, excessive government corruption and bad moves, some for ignorance, others in the name of politics. Meanwhile, those who do not have access to earnings in US$ need to buckle down.

Fingers crossed that the country will gain from better banking supervision, just maybe the country and its productive sectors will focus on revenue generating sectors (exports), instead of on selling expensive imported goods. Some of the country's local goods producer companies that have survived the intense foreign competition are getting a break and gaining the favor of consumers that cannot afford the more expensive imported goods. These could be winners.

Conclusion... There are many winners in this re-engineering of the economy. And yes, the DR will bounce back.

Check the literature on investing anywhere. The profits are greater when coming in during the bad times. Lots of money to be made here, just do your homework.

FRANKY R

Jul 11, 2003
not likely

dplores I don't know where do you get your info, but you certainly have been misinformed. Nobody bounces back from a grave or I don't think an econimic can turn around when it's alrady gone. I'm sorry if I sound too pesimistic I'm just being real.

FRANKY R

Jul 11, 2003
early grave.

You people refuse to understand that it will take a long time before D.R. can bounce back from the early grave that mr. Hipo and his " secuases " have driven it to.

I even dare say that if the PRD wins the election next year " FORGET ABOUT IT " it's over., espcially for those poor people native from D.R. who are not gringos or turists with " $ gree "

the naked truth----------

frank R

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Franky R, what is 'over'? Economies collapse, and economies recover. They usually collapse under unintelligent leadership and they usually recover under intelligent leadership - unless market forces is just totally against something happening.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Are things that bad, really?

I'm going to Casa de Campo for our usual two weeks vacation in August. After reading everything that's going on perhaps we should go somewhere else.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you have US$, this is the best time to visit. The DR, which always was a good value destination, is today a super buy for shopping and restaurant going. Enjoy the great purchasing power of your US$.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Thanks Dolores

Dolores said:
If you have US$, this is the best time to visit. The DR, which always was a good value destination, is today a super buy for shopping and restaurant going. Enjoy the great purchasing power of your US$.

Money is not the issue. I was talking about riots, etc. My family down there is telling us not to go down. My father/cousins and you name it have all fled to Spain. My husband and I (and my two boys) are so use to going in August every year that we really don't want to change our plans. But I'm a little concern for my boys (they take off by themselves) and this time won't have their cousins to protect them.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
One of the strengths of the Dominican people -- extreme patience and tolerance -- is also its weakness. If many key elements making up the cost of living would have gone up 100% in less than a year, in the US the population would have long time ago asked for the resignation of the government. Here, with only very few exceptions, people are accepting and buying less.

The truth is that the riots are few and scattered.

A few weeks ago, the popular Boquechivo cartoonist explained that all the rioters were on the government payroll.

Also, Casa de Campo has always been an island within an island.

Last edited:

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Thanks

We are still going, but the boys w/ have to stay near, no more Santo Domingo side trips. Not on this trip.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I would not worry!

I passed through a "Riot" near the zoo 3 days ago.I just waved and avoided the burning tires,tree limbs,concrete blocks,garbage,and "Tigres" with towels wraped around their faces!
Two nights ago I tried 3 routes to get home from work,all blocked by burning tires,garbage,and rock throwing delinquents!I tried both streets leading down to the zoo from Av.Tiradentes,blocked! Then Ortega Y Gasett in front of the "Goya" plant,burning tires!I just went back to work and waited for 3 hours!
This morning I was taking my boys to Day Camp,saw the "remnants,black circles burned into the asfault,wire from the "belts" of the tires,garbage,concrete blocks, in "La Puya" de Arroyo Hondo.We got there too late! Looks like the "Party" was last night!
So "Come On Down",and don't worry!

Cris Colon:confused: