Back from 10 days in Florida: Some DR related stuff

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I got back last night from a wonderful trip to Florida with my grandson and his two first cousins. Oh we did Disney and Universal, and I damn near died. Heat and humidity were very high. Even the kids were worn out after three days of that.

The worst thing was that our laptop could only do dial-up and I could not log-on to DR1 !!! Robert, you have to find a way for us to access this site from other places besides "home"....

The best thing was the driving along huge highways at 140-150 kph, no a$$holes cutting in and out and no idiots at 40 kph either. We did Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando in less than 3:15, and St. Augustine to Ft. Lauderdale in under 4:30 Gasoline was expensive at $1.69 or so...

The AA flight from here was the usual hassle of ineffective checking of baggage, absurd pricing in the waiting areas-$4.25 for a Sprite and a Lemonade!! $2.00 for a small can of pringles!!

There were some excellent buys at the free port shops, especially cigars..

The way back was altogether different. In and out of Immigration and Customs in lickety-split time. No hassles and polite service.
Bravo for that...

Drive back to Santiago from Santo Domingo was pleasant and the air was so much nicer here than there.

It will take a while for all of this to sink in but I think my batteries are renewed...

HB

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
I bet it was good HB!

When I went down to FL three weeks ago, it was pretty stimulating for me. It was invigorating to go there after a year without seeing my folks. South Beach was great, so was Orlando for the few days I spent there. Humid as hell but hey that's what the beaches are there for, to cool you off. Tell us the good stuff about the trip HB.........

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
welcome back, HB

Welcome back to DR1. We missed your wisdom Oh Great GURU !!

zeus (primus inter pares)

ps the boy from licey.. adios

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
tondra said:
I noticed that when I had a layover in Miami in Feb., it was much more humid than when I arrived in the Dominican Repubic. Is this usual?

Yep.
Where in the DR were you? Miami is only a few feet above sea-level. Its Highest point I believe is 8 or 9 feet.
In the DR you are either on the beach or in the mountains. Both with strong breezes.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Yes it's usually very humid, we also have the Everglades as a 1.4 million acre backyard so that doesn't help things at all. Go to the beach if you want to feel a breeze;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It's the humidity

Orlando damn near killed me. I nearly drank out of the alligator pool!!

Santiago is about 500 to 800 above sea level and a lot drier than FL. POP and SDQ are on the water but enjoy great breezes all the time.

Gonna try and go to Punta Rucia tomorry

HB

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Same here Hlywd!

It can get pretty steamy here in the summer too!

So how steamy does it get in the DR during the summer and how long does it last?

I had asked BushBaby about the usefulness of inflated furniture in the DR (it could be easily transported to outfit a home). He thought it would not be a good idea.

I presently have an Aerobed and thought it might be a great way to get a bed into the DR. I would be interested in anyone else's opinions on this furniture option. (I would, obviously, cover the plastic with a throw, etc.) I ran across a great inflatable chair that has built-in speakers and drink holder. I will await my purchase until I hear more about DR residents' opinions.