Kidnappings?

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
I really haven't a clue what I am talking about so try to bear with me. When I read through the archives about dangers, I swear I saw some mention of kidnappings mentioned. I know petty theft exists (things left unattended in general). But could some one clarify what, how, why kidnapping would ever be mentioned? I can't cite the example right now, but I'll try to go back through the logs and find out and give you examples where it is mentioned.

-Lee

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Big Wheels

There have been some kidnappings of the families of rich Dominicans either for cash or for retribution/negotiations of some disagreements but if you are asking about risk to tourists like in Colombia I wouldn't be too concerned.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
They're usually an "ajuste de cuentas" which drug dealers use to get their money back on an "investment" made............the situations depend but it's not like in other countries

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
believe/take this anyway you want. i'm not an attention seeker and it's not necessary that you believe me.

my wife was involved with the organisation of the "tiesto" gig at playa guayacanes last weekend and so had to work most of saturday and sunday.
i stayed in sd with my child.
my wife's father is not rich, but he is quite well-known and he was telephoned three times at home on sunday morning with the worrying news that his daughter (my wife) had been kidnapped.
he was told on no account should he call her cellular phone or the police.
my father-in-law promptly called my wife on her cellular, who in turn called me to advise me to be aware of what (or who) is around me and to keep an eye at all times on my child. when i asked her why anyone would do that, she told me it was someone playing a joke and her friends in codetel could possibly find out who made the calls.

i am not any kind of drug baron and don't believe my wife or child were ever going to be kidnapped, but we could have easily fallen victim to a scam. i'm sure someone who knew my wife would be working on sunday tried to get money out of my father-in-law, when this person knew full well my wife would return safe and sound some time in the evening.

desperate times bring about desperate people who become desperate criminals.
the kidnappings are not as serious as colombia, the philippines or most other countries - but, as i suspect most of you are already, keep your wits about you.