living in POP, computer problems

msophiac

Jan 20, 2003
I have been here a couple weeks, and I brought a surge protector for my laptop. One day it did not open to Windows, I took it to a local place in POP and he said (through a language barrier problem, my Spanish being poor) that a test could not detect my hard drive, could this have happened when the grid suddenly went down, I thought my surge protector was supposed to prevent that....cant imagine what else it could be, I heard that it could fry a modem, but a hard drive...? But I dont know much about computers. Does anyone know where I can go someplace else on the Island to get a second opinion?
Many thanks, M sophia

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I'll trade with you ...

Just spent today replacing my computer. Behind a UPS and a Surge supressor it still got fried. My problem always seems to be the stupid electronic Algore on/off switch. A perfectly good motherboard gone for nothing along with $3100 pesos.

When looking for a UPS make sure it is electronic and not relay driven. The ones (cheap) with the relays don't respond fast enough always to protect the system from tiny static build-ups that can none-the-less destroy the microscopic components on the MB.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You need UPS also for low electricity, which can be just as bad as electricity surges to computers, if not worse.

Electricity in POP very unstable, many times low and high. UPS is a must.