They took my stuff!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Flying out of POP yesterday on a little 16-seater to the Turks and Caicos islands, the folks at POP confiscated my stuff. They took a tiny pair of scissors out of a tiny sewing kit in my hand luggage - these scissors cannot even threaten a mosquito. Then they took two sets of tweezers - so how am I going to pluck my beard now LOL and then they took a tiny 2 inch nailfile... Oh man! Was I upset about my midget sized scissors! They've been travelling with me for 12 years! I'm just happy that I have my own teeth - If I happen to carry a spare set with me, they would have taken those as well!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I assume it was only a "carry-on" luggage flight? I think its understandable that they took that stuff. Recently, I had a tiny pair of nailclippers in my bag and they wouldnt let me bring it on the plane. Welcome to the post 9-11 world of flying.
Larry

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Tweezers and scissors and nailfiles are still prohibited in carryon, nail clippers are now allowed to be carried on.

I had that problem in Sto. Domingo, but was allowed to put them in my checked baggage or mail them to myself.

carcoll

Mar 31, 2003
Better Safe than Sorry!

Sorry to hear about your scissors but I guess it is better that way......What's funny is that anything can be a weapon!!! Have you seen the Prison show OZ on HBO? I mean, you can use a pencil, a watch, anything to hurt someone......But I see their point.

Thanks for letting me know...........I am going with a 15 people group next month, and I will advise them to place those items handy but in the suitcase............

cheers!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm interested in the flight to Turks & Caicos. My brother is moving there, and I will be in Sosua. How long, how much, what carrier, how many flights, etc. - if you don't mind. Thanks, Danny

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Skyking flies between POP and Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos. They have flights on Mondays, Wednesdays, Friday's, Saturdays, sometimes Sundays.

They are a small friendly bunch - On time statistics probably sucks big time, but they are the only bunch flying this route. Cost for a round-trip is US$270

Hope this helps.

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
And their telephone number is

(809) 841-4602 at Gregorio Luperon International Airport!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I could? told you that!!

My first experience was when they BROKE OFF the nail files on my nail clippers-in my checked baggage, no less- and it p!ssed me off no end- I mean distruction of my personal property??

There are some assinine inspectors out there. In MIA last week, I was told to carry my butane lighter on board...go figure..

In MIA you can put a machete, a razor, a carving knife in your checked baggage, and no problem. Not here!!

I agree, it is stupid, but like they said--This is life in post 9-11....

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I am quite willing to co-operate with safety rules - What got me, is that the rules were applied so stupidly! the little nailfile kit and quick repair kit I had in my handbag, were just so small that I did not give these a second thought when I packed as I have been on countless flights with these since 9/11. I could do much more damage with the sewing needle in the repair kit than with the scissors. So, they left me with a mean looking sewing needle and took a non-dangerous tiny pair of blunt scissors, suitable only to saw through one piece of thread after sewing on a button. So, a new person, and all of a sudden, a new way of enforcing the rules. And this while Richard walks by with a full set of mean looking computer tools in his laptop bag...

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I've said it before and I'll say it again ...

... even if Monaco calls me a gun nut once more ...

ITEM1
If three hundred million people board planes each year in the United States and 300 get through with weapons that could do serious harm, guns, bombs, etc. The security agents will have achieved an amazing interdiction success rate of just one error in 1 million boardings! Still 300 planes could potentially be destroyed and maybe 50,000 people could die. Feel safer now?

ITEM2
Their current succes rate is something like 75 percent and that's being very generous. That would mean some 75 MILLION passengers could board with dangerous weapons each year. Scary, huh?

CONCLUSION
It is mathematically undeniable that the odds will always be stacked against interdiction of weapons and in favor of the terrorists simply be the sheer volume of passengers requiring screening.

A better solution would be to mandate that everyone who gets on the dang plane has a weapon. Don't have one? "Sorry, go back and get a knife or a gun, or buy one from the vending machine out front, sir, or you can't board. You know the rules! You're responsible for helping the HSA fight terrorism!" Those idiots hijacked a bunch of planes with BOX CUTTERS people. Could they have if even a couple of the other folks on the plane had real weapons?

Seriously, I don't advocate arming everyone that boards, but if you want to make everyone safe, just put armed police on each flight. Stop taking off people's shoes and confiscating 2" high GI Joe toys from kids, and strip-searching infants and old ladies (I was not referring to you Chris). It just doesn't add to anyone's security! It might make you "feel" better but nothing else.

Does anyone feel that removing nail clippers, and blunt scissors from Chris decreases the likelihood that their plane will be hijacked? I mean she can be really mean when arguing politics, but a hijacker? Please! Besides I happen to know she'd prefer some semi-automatic chemical ballistic projectile weapon to a pair of scissors - and she knows how to use one!

:: rant mode off ::

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: I've said it before and I'll say it again ...

XanaduRanch said:
[B....Besides I happen to know she'd prefer some semi-automatic chemical ballistic projectile weapon to a pair of scissors - and she knows how to use one! [/B]

This is maybe true Xanadu, but it would be absurd on SkyKing! LOL - The protest will not even make the front page of DR1?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
What was that T-Shirt I saw you wearing at Coastal on the way to the airport Chris? A big red circle with a slash through it over the words "TCI for the TCI'ers"? No wonder they picked you out for extra security!