supermarket prices

attny2b

Jul 3, 2003
I am going to be staying in an apartment for 2 weeks in La Romana. If anybody could give me an estimate on how much money I can expect to spend at the supermarket, I'd appreciate it. I'm not looking for gourmet foods...simple is best! Thank you

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
US$30 a week, including North American junk food and drinks per person should cover it with no problem.

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
I just walked through a smallish supermarket in Sosua. I have no idea what things cost but the wife does. We compared everything we might normally buy.

At that store we found most prices slightly under those in the US. My guess then is you will pay about 80% of what you would in the US.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
US$30/RD$1000 isn't what it was a few months ago. For the meals, drinks and snack foods for one person, you should anticipate spending more than that--especially if some of what you buy is imported. When preparing a budget, always best to over estimate rather than use what at best will be the bare minimum.

Sorry I can't give you a figure; but it sure doesn't take much shopping these days to go through RD$500.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Prices are "... slightly under those in the U.S."?!!?? Geesh. One colmado visit and he's an expert. Not a chance! Not unless you normally buy your groceries in Manhattan or from the vendors at Disney World!

As Ken said, how much you need depends on how much you require imported food. As of yesterday a block of "Cracker Barrel" cheese was about US$4. Oscar Mayer turkey cold cuts? US$6. A smallish bag of potato chips about US$2. That adds up fast. If you are in an apartment though and can cook, rather than relying on prepackaged imported foods you will get along much better by being able to buy fresh chicken, meats, rice etc. And soft drinks are still a relative bargain at about US$.90 per 2 liter bottle.

We're on the North Coast in the sticks where prices are high and they sock it to the tourists. Less so in Santiago, but still high compared to the U.S. We're shopping for a family of 5 plus the nanny, mostly here in Sosua. Altogether we easily spend RD$3000-RD$4000 per week and that doesn't include meals out.

Because the dollar is up against the peso prices have gone up - but not as much as the devaluation so food is actually costing a bit less than a few months ago.

Your estimate of $150/week sounds reasonable if prices in La Romana are comparable to this side of the island. Have a good trip!

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
XanaduRanch: 100USD/week for5-6, say 20USD/week for each of you

GringoCarlos: 30USD/week for one person.

I spend 4-5000 a week at Carrefour, It makes for 8, but no imported chips or yogurt, no wine nor alcohol.

If you eat rice, fruits and vegetables plus chicken, ham and coke, you have more food than you can eat for 3USD a day

Barnab?

attny2b

Jul 3, 2003
thank you all so much! Because I'm vacationing away from home (Boston), I am looking forward to buying the "local" products, so hopefully that will help a little.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
prices

depends on what you want to eat. You are on a tight budget? ok then try this: (current sosua prices)

1) breakfast in a cheap restaurant: 2 eggs, homefries, toast, coffee...about 50 pesos.

2) lunch: especial of the day in a cheap little place---dominican food---salad, pollo,rice, beans...45 pesos add 20 pesos for a coke that comes to 65 pesos.

3) dinner: pizza with a few toppings (a big one that will feed 2 people) is 140 pesos ...thats 70 pesos each. add a presedente for 30 pesos and it comes to 100 pesos each.

thats 215 pesos or 7 dollars for the day and you ate out 3 times with no shopping, no food preparation and no dishes to wash. If thats too expensive for you then you can buysome food in the supermarket like chicken drumsticks and chopmeat, bread,cereal,fruits and veggies for cheap and make one meal per day at home while going out for the other 2.

Larry

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
eating cheap...

Thanks Larry! You just solved my delimma of hating to cook when I move to the DR....I can eat for cheaper than groceries it seems! :) Pam

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
If you are buying just for yourself, expect to pay about US$ 50-70 per week. There is a new supermarket in La Romana, "Jumbo", little more than a yearold, it has just about everything you need. The store is modern, set up like in the states with many isles, food counters, cold and frozen food displays. The prices are above the colmado prices, however, you have more selection, one stop shopping, without having to travel over all God's creation to find what you need. It is located about 1-2 km west from the entrance to Casa de Campo and 1 km south from the park in the city center. The store also sell other wares, to include clothing, appliances, and novelties. Regards, PJT

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
???

I dont know where some of you guys get your figures from? Expect to pay $70 per week?? Do you think the average Dominican that lives in the DR spends $70 per week on groceries? No they do not and even though a lot of Dominicans are poor, I do not see that many starving. You can learn to budget and compromise and still eat well for a hell of a lot less than $70 per week.
Larry

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
attny2b:

When in La Romana, the day you go shopping, try to find the local INESPRE market (Institute for Price stabilization).

That's really worth seeing, a real local tropical market full of odors and colors, and great prices (in SD, 100 oranges will cost you 3 USD).

Barnab?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chris said:
Larry, I love platanos but rice and beans every day makes me impatient. So, a little extra for the gringo is necessary!

Chris,
I agree. I need a good expensive meal once in a while...Some beef,seafood,wine....but then again I am your typically spoiled American. In the original post attny2b said he/she was not looking for gourmet and that simple is best. If one really is willing to do it simple I think you could do it very cheaply.
Larry

attny2b

Jul 3, 2003
please forgive me. What is the difference between RD and peso? I know that today about 30 pesos = 1USD, but how many pesos = RD or is it the same? Sorry for my lack of knowledge...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the hell with the crakerbarrel cheese if you on a tight budget. Buy dominican products.
Get a pressure cooker and make delicious soups with cheap tough meat. get the "carne de pecho de res" (beef with bones) for 15 pesos / pound and pressure cook it for 20 mins so it will become soft. Now throw in some flavor, carrots, potatoe and few more veggies and you have yourself a great soup that will feed you for 2 days. Nuke a huge potatoe and put butter on it to eat it like a bake potatoe. Make beans in the pressure cooker and eat them with rice and meat. If you use the local products, you will save alot. Oh, do eat eggs they are cheap and tasty.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Smart man, AZB!! That's what I'd do, probably the best way to find out about the local culture is total immersion, including their foods.........

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
To hell with my cheese? What will I have with my champagne? Platinos? I came here to retire not to play Ewell (sp?) Gibbons! ("Did you know that you can make a tasty supper from a few fried acorns and discarded head gaskets from a '57 chevy you find in the woods?").

Local food is great and good, imports cost. You'll also find though that with the sun, the heat, and the humidity you want to eat less anyway. I think restaurants are a great bargain in general, too, in many cases about equal in cost to cooking unlike the U.S. where you pay for the convenience.