new boating regulations

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
In case there is anyone on here who cares (or someone new coming who may) according to a pretty reliable person in the DR, new boating reg's have eliminated the need to clear going out everytime.

This should be a good first step to getting a decent marina on the north coast and a good deal of boaters coming down from the East Coast.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I think most of the boaters coming down from the East Coast probably have never seen big seas in their lives - putting around the inter coastal waterway. I doubt if we will see greater numbers of boaters, even with relaxed regulations. There are hundreds of boats getting as far as Georgetown in the Exhumas, but somehow they turn around there and go back. And up to now, Cuba has not been a good place for American boaters to put in for a little rest, so direct sailing to the DR is a little hard for most recreational boaters. But I agree, a nice marina on the North Coast would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
If the new 200 slip marina in Samana harbor is ever finished it will be a good place to layover and recuperate from slogging to windward all the way from Florida. As it is, I've noticed more boats anchored in the harbor the past year. Samana seems to be coming back from more than a decade of few transient yachts stopping over.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Within 2-3 years this should be a boaters paradise with some very nice facilities.

Luperon - New marina development that I hear is going to happen.
Greg Norman golf course etc.

Cap Cana - Largest in the Caribbean, mega yacht slips, plus all the necessary facilities. The good thing is, it's being built by a well known Marina builder from the US.

La Romana - They are building another new one, besides the new one at Casa de Campo.

Plus the on-going expansion of the existing marinas here.

If your into golf and boats, this place will seen by like heaven and a very affordable price!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It would be a good thing! Most boaters nowadays do the quick jump over the gulf and then take their time to travel through the Bahamas and Exhumas to arrive at the Turks and Caicos. The Turks and Caicos is horribly expensive and really not a good place to hang for yachties on a budget. Then, Luperon seems to be just a rest-up, until they can do the slog to Puerto Rico. If the North Coast can be developed somehow into a place with shelter, and marketed as such, hundreds of snow bird boaters will enjoy these shores every year.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Don't forget the marina Ocean World is building near Cofresi, Puerto Plata next to the marine park. 120 slips (16 foot depth for 150 foot boats for some slips) fuel, cable tv, phone, water, power, pool, laundry, customs, immigration, liquor, etc..
Focus is on marine park right now but when this is finished in March 2004 then full swing marina construction. Opening January 2005 approx.

How far are they with marina in Samana, didnt know one was being built there?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The project in Samana has been stopped for quite some time. Started toward the end of the Leonel administration and has not been funded for much of the current administration. This is the story of a great many projects started in the DR with great fanfare.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Now Cofresi's actually close enough for me to get back interested in buying a boat again! Anyone have any idea of the slip rental rates present and/or expected? Mas o menus?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I don't know yet what the rates will be, but it will be catering to the sport fishing/luxury boat market and will probably be priced that way - more toward transient boats coming from US/Bahamas heading to Eastern Caribbean. This is about $1 per foot per day plus metered charges for electricity/water/etc.

I am sure there will be long term rates also.

The good news is that it will have dry rack storage for boats up to 30 feet, this will probably cost around $200 - $300 per month, depending on whether launches in-out are charged extra or included, insurance, etc..

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Thanks, Conchman. Sounds like this place may get to be fun!

Have I heard wrong or is the whole North Coast some sort of Ocean reserve, and supposedly motor free? If so, how close to the coast are you allowed? Are there any places to beach or put in that are allowed other than ports like Luperon, (Cofresi), Puerto Plata, etc? It'd be nice if the government created some beach access points along the coast with marked channels for ocean access as well even for such simple recreational things as jet-skis or hovercraft. Is operating those kinds of craft illegal?

Just curious if anyone knows. I love the water and gave that all up when I moved down here. It's sort of my missing final piece to a very happy retirement.

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
Conchman said:
Don't forget the marina Ocean World is building near Cofresi, Puerto Plata next to the marine park. 120 slips (16 foot depth for 150 foot boats for some slips) fuel, cable tv, phone, water, power, pool, laundry, customs, immigration, liquor, etc..
Focus is on marine park right now but when this is finished in March 2004 then full swing marina construction. Opening January 2005 approx.

How far are they with marina in Samana, didnt know one was being built there?

I looked at the plans for this one and for one other marina on the north coast that will be even far larger. Could be really great!

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
Ken said:
The project in Samana has been stopped for quite some time. Started toward the end of the Leonel administration and has not been funded for much of the current administration. This is the story of a great many projects started in the DR with great fanfare.

Is this the project in Las Terranas??? If so, I have some information that this is back on track as well.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Monaco09, I don't know where you are getting your information but there is no marina, or a proposed marina, in Las Terrenas as the entire north shore of the Samana peninsula is completely exposed and not suitable for marina development. And as Ken has indicated, all work on the Samana harbor facility has been completely stopped for some time with no resumption in sight for continuation of construction by either the government or private developers. Local sources told me last year that several private developers were negotiating to complete and operate the marina, but nothing yet after almost a year of total inactivity.

Also, the last I heard (and the last time I went offshore trolling), clearance was still required from the Marina de Guerre but it could be granted by radio or by telephone instead of the captain or his representative personally appearing at the local commandante's office and being given signed permission to leave the harbor.

The crusing regulations were also updated with foreign yachtsmen now being allowed to anchor for extended periods in places other than "a port of availabilty" where a customs agent was stationed. Purchase of a 6 month cruising permits is required for this.

This major revision of the Maritime law of 1937 (?) was made last year after a USCG Commander friend of mine assigned to the US Embassy in Santo Domingo assisted the Dominican government in modernizing this antiquated piece of legislation (after many, many years of complaints and problems experienced by foreign yachtsmen).

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
Andy B said:
Monaco09, I don't know where you are getting your information but there is no marina, or a proposed marina, in Las Terrenas as the entire north shore of the Samana peninsula is completely exposed and not suitable for marina development. .

I am constantly surprised by people here wanting to argue points they cannot be certain of. I have seen the plans, seen the financing, seen the land purchased in the area. I have seen signed by the gov't, plans approved for the area. I could give you the name of the developer if he lets me. I'll ask him, but I may not speak to him for a week or more.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It would be interesting to know where it is located. I have been along that shore in my sailboat and can recall no location that looked safe for a marina. But maybe the developer plans to dredge a channel to the interior and construct a marina and condo complex that way, as has been done in Puerto Rico and elsewhere.

As Andy B says, it is a lee shore so protection from wind and waves would be a very high priority.

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
I'll ask for more details of the developer when I speak to him next. I am hoping a transaction closes which would have me speaking to him probably within a week.

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
XanaduRanch said:
Don't anybody hold your breath.

Wow you are really a jerk. This was a perfectly civil thread until you posted your spew. I pass on some info and answer related questions and get this. If you are in such a rush talk to C21 in Sosua. They are aware of the project (at least someone there is) because I spoke about it in front of one of their people.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I am still waiting for you to post anything anyone's asked you anywhere else where you'd provide proof. But hey, I trust you. I am sure you'll be posting that info right away. I have owned boats before and I am interested in property in that area. So I am interested in the subject. But I guarantee I wouldn't buy anything based on your "inside" information not because I don't like you, but because of your track record here on DR1.

Why are you so mean? A bit touchier tahn usual today aren't we? And "jerk?" That's the best you can do? I had hoped for so much more.