Pilot License requirements in DR?

srmyers67

Jul 11, 2003
Hello all,

I'm considering getting my pilot's license here in the US over the next year. In doing so I'd also like to be able to operate small craft within DR when I'm down there.

Can any direct me to some information or a contact to inquire about the requirements for making this happen?

Thanks in advance!

flyboy

Jul 5, 2003
The way that it works with airplanes is that your supposed to have the pilots license of the country where the aircraft is registered. You can determine the aircraft registration by looking at its tail number. If the first letter that you see is an "N" then it is an american registered aircraft and you will be able to fly it in the DR as well as anywhere in the world with your FAA license. If the tail number starts with the letters "HI" then it is a dominican registered aircraft and you will need a Dominican pilots license. It is an international policy of almost all nations that the pilot hold the license and medical certificate of the origin of the aircraft being flown. Some countries do not require you to have their license to fly their registered aircraft if you hold a license by some other country who has well estalished and regulated certification requirements. An example would be flying Jamaican aircraft with a British license.The DR IS NOT ONE of these countries. If you get your american pilots license you better make sure that your flying an american registered aircraft. If you need anymore info I'll be happy to help.