Skywatchers Look Up!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Here in the D.R. next week we will be one of the few areas on the planet priveleged to see our moon occulting a very close by and stunningly bright planet Mars.

The moon will pass in front of Mars early in the morning of Thursday, July 17th, starting around 3:55AM-4:00AM local time depending on where you are on the island, and exit from behind the moon's disk in twilight at 5:25AM-5:30AM. Mars will enter behind the moon top and left, and leave bottom right.

Watch as it disappears and you will notice it'll take about two minutes for Mars to slowly "wink out" as it'll take that long for the planet's entire disk to move behind the moon as seen from here. If you've got a telescope or binocluars even it should be quite a sight.

Here's a link with more information for those interested:

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/moon_mars_030711.html#eclipse

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Which beach doesn't matter so much as whether there is wine on the beach.

En vino veritas.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes!

;)

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
all spaced out

hey x_ranch, thanks for making me feel sorry for missing this truely rare event. i have seen stars blanketed out by the moon mountains with my telescope, which gives you a feel for the awesome speed of our sattelite.
anyway events like that put our daily stuggles here in the right perspective.
only if the sun stops shining everything is lost. until than there is hope.
x.
going to thailand tomorrow, but back in dr in november.

ps GabyCruz where is my PM? (s-puppet==sock puppet)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hey x_man wave at Kuala Lumpur as you fly by. Lived there for awhile, and really love that part of the world. Haven't been to Bangkok though in 18 years or so.

Sorry you didn't get a GC PM. She must not have liked you as much. She may be back, but Robert banned GC this afternoon.

Too bad. So sad.

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
sky pretty

Thanks Tom,
I watched from LA and thought how much clearer it must be in DR. I would have missed it if I did not read about it in DR1.
I'll see DR sky for myself soon. Thanks, k