Sosua Supermarkets

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A number of posts recently from new owners of property in the greater Sosua area and a number of other posts regarding food prices. It seems appropriate, therefore, to provide some information about the supermarkets in Sosua.

There are three: Two Playeros and one Productos Sosua.

The Playero on the highway opposite the REMAX building is the largest of the three and has the best selection of imported products. The prices are marked on the shelves and include the tax, so what you see is what you pay. With respect to prices, this store is in the middle.

The smaller Playero in the center of town is well stocked, though less so than its big brother, and the aisles are narrower. Almost every product in this store is a few pesos more expensive than at the larger store even though a distance separates the two.

Productos Sosua is on the highway at the Cabarete end of Sosua. It's products are presently not marked with the price, however, my experience is that most are less expensive than those of the big Playero. It has some imported products, but not to the extent that Playero does. But for products sold by both, Productos Sosua has the edge.

I have been told about the small supermarket in the Coastal gas station between Sosua and Cabarete, however, I have not shopped there myself (don't have a car). However, it is said that their prices are lower than Playero, though you won't find many imported products.

If you are in Puerto Plata, you may want to shop one of the supermarkets there. They aren't any larger than the big Playero, but their prices are often as low or lower by a couple of pesos than the lowest price in Sosua. However, the difference is not worth making a special trip for.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
To add to Ken's informative post, I've been to the market at the gas station between Sosua and Cabarete and they are well stocked with well marked prices and a very nice selection of wine. A clean and well lighted store. American imports are available but not chinese or japanese sauces and ingredients as in the "Big Playero". Prices are not exhorbitant.

In Cabarete is a nice little supermarket with the name of Janet. The selection is mostly local products, but we've consistently found their prices just a little lower than the Sosua prices. Small selection however.

There is another supermarket also called Productos Sosua. They have a good selection of cheese, imported potato chips and even a stand with bestsellers in English. Prices are comparable with the others.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Chris, they do have the Chinese and Japanese sauces and ingredients at the Coastal supermarket.

We've been buying them there for awhile as it's very convenient for folks like us living out El Choco. It's also American owned so he's tried to stock more American type food items than some of the other stores. I do think "Supermercado Ancla" is a bit of a work in progress. They daily have a better selection and more products and are still moving items and things around for better presentation. But I agree, it's nice and clean, the staff is far and away more friendly and helpful than the other supermercados, and most (not all) prices are equal or lower to the other stores in town. One thing I find a bit lacking yet is their selection of fresh bread though. And no, it is not as big as Playero so the selection is more limited. But all-in-all a very worthwhile stop.

Ditto on your comments about Janet's. They need air conditioning though! It's always so hot in there! It's easier to spend my money when I am "cool as a cuc(umber)" as my mother used to say.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
I have been to the Coastal a few times and if you want the look at an americanized store, this is it. I like it, it's extremely clean and everything in there is brand new, impressive wine selection. It seems to be getting more and more variety. All in all, a very pleasant shopping experience. Thimbs up!

I believe, this is owned by the folks from PJs (some french brothers). Is it not?

ecarignan

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Nah the guy is an american living in Perla Marina. Real nice gentleman. Mary introduced me to him.

Nice place, good prices and convienent:)

Ken... I would be happy to take you and the wife shopping with me if there is anything that you need.

Scott