say good bye to Pollo Victorina.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have heard from a banker that Pollo Victorina has gone broke and turned over their operations to a bank (?). With the raising dollar/peso exchange rate, they just couldn't keep up.
They are just one of the many businesses who have closed down or are about to go broke. Ferreteria M&M (do it best) is closed and instead Ochoa are opening up there.
car dealerships mark dollar prices on cars now. No one is buying them anyway so dealers are going broke. Constructions have stopped all over santiago. Black outs are putting the last nails in the coffen before the hell breaks loose.
Restaurants are empty and disco / bars have people inside that you could count on your fingers. francifol cafe put on a huge presidente show last night, brought beautiful venezuelan model girls and 3 puerto-rican sexy dancers. it was full to the max but how many people were actually buying drinks? Not many.

How long would it take for a complete collaspe of the economy? Not many days as I have heard the gasoline prices will raise again to 57-58 pesos for the cheap gas.
anyone wants to buy a jeepita with V8 engine?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Say it Ain't So!

Geez, AZB, that's terrible if true.

I really liked Pollo Victorina. We just rented a nice house in a quiet neigbhorhood in Santiago so we'd have someplace to retreat when living out here in the sticks on the NC got to be too much and we needed a break in a real city.

I was looking forward to a little fast food again, and especially Pollo Victorina from time to time. Ah well. Another of the little pleasure's that make life fun taken away.

:(

G

GabyCruz

OH say NOw ,can you seeee!?

Now can you see guys were am I coming from? Pretty soon we are going belly up, maybe worst than Argentina, or maybe Like Venezuela, now you see why I shout and raise my little voice telling you all LET'S DO SOMETHING ABOU IT! Just because must of you are EXPATS does not means that you dont have a voice an interests in our politics and our economy, so lets use all our power and unite and start something guys : YES WE CAN< UNITED, In good as well as in BADD, VAMO A RESOLVEE!;) ;)

ENOUGH thread hijacking!!!!!

Give it a rest, please......

Last edited by a moderator:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I never said I didn't see, but I have fought my battles educating idiots who can't tell right from wrong or good from bad and have the scars to prove it. It's time for someone else to take up the charge.

Go for it. Y vaya con dios!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
P.S.

Besides, when I start talking politics my brains starts running too fast for my Spanish and I end up sounding like a jabbering idiot. :speechles

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
As of today, Pollo Victorina hasn't shut down their operations yet. They are in trouble just like the KFC.
Taco bell opened up a new branch in Plaza Internacional this week. Has anyone checked their prices? They are nuts. They are charging an arm and a leg for a tiny taco, fries and a smallest sized coke that they could find. I would need 3 of these combos to fill me up. I bet their days are numbered. They opened up in a spot where 2 previous businesses have gone bankrupt. Not a very good omen to begin with.
Apart from food business, many doctors are suffering as well. The ones most hit the hardest are the surgeons. Many surgeons who performed 12-15 surgeries a month now perform 2-3 if they are lucky.
The laboratory where I send my patient to get their X-rays taken is all empty. This is the same place where my patients had to wait 2 hours in line to get their X-rays taken. Now its as easy as 123. Good for me but bad for them. They are seriously hurting. They had to cut staff and raise prices. But it seems catch 22 because if you raise prices to compensate for the higher material costs then patients don?t come.

Discos are full of guys because no one has the money to take out girls. Now I am accustomed to seeing a fat old guy with a bunch of cute girls in his custody. Apparently he is the man who has got the money to take girls out. All the young Jevitos are left smoking cigarettes in tight short sleeve shirts, blowing smoke in air.

A chocolate store in plaza Internacional used to sell the best swiss chocolates for reasonable prices, now their prices have gone up more than double as compared to their original cost. The sales girl sits all day staring at the wall and people. No customers anymore. Soon there will be a dominions reaction and all will collapse . This is scary yet true and I see it unfold to a new stage everyday (the crisis).

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: OH say NOw ,can you seeee!?

GabyCruz said:
Now can you see guys were am I coming from? Pretty soon we are going belly up, maybe worst than Argentina, or maybe Like Venezuela, now you see why I shout and raise my little voice telling you all LET'S DO SOMETHING ABOU IT! Just because must of you are EXPATS does not means that you dont have a voice an interests in our politics and our economy, so lets use all our power and unite and start something guys : YES WE CAN< UNITED, In good as well as in BADD, VAMO A RESOLVEE!;) ;)
Expats do NOT have a voice. Most expats don't even have a residency status let alone citizenship and a DR Passport.

Escott

Last edited by a moderator:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I don't mean to sound shallow but ...

All I know is it sounds like if I want to get a fast food fix I'd better go have at it now while I can.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
I shall miss the bollitos de yucca con queso they used to sell.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
AZB said:

Apart from food business, many doctors are suffering as well. The ones most hit the hardest are the surgeons. Many surgeons who performed 12-15 surgeries a month now perform 2-3 if they are lucky.

The wait for a doctor that I see at Centro Medico Bournigal in Puerto Plata is now much shorter than before. When I asked her about this, she told me that even many patients who have insurance aren't going to the doctor until in really bad shape because they can't afford the medicine they know the doctor will prescribe. Because most medicine is imported, it has gone up considerably in price, just like food, gasoline, and most else.

It really is a bad situation and seems that it will only get worse. Those posters in other threads that are eager for the peso to fall to 40 or more to 1 don't understand what this is doing to the country and its people.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Now I am accustomed to seeing a fat old guy with a bunch of cute girls in his custody. Apparently he is the man who has got the money to take girls out. All the young Jevitos are left smoking cigarettes in tight short sleeve shirts, blowing smoke in air.

Hey, you are the other guy with money in Santiago-- tell the old, fat guy to hit it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: Re: OH say NOw ,can you seeee!?

Escott said:
Expats do NOT have a voice. Most expats don't even have a residency status let alone citizenship and a DR Passport.
Escott

That's not true. We send our news to 13,000+ people daily, 20% being locally.

We know we make a difference by the feedback we receice from local Dominicans that read our news.

I'm an expat...

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Let's get back to talking about Pollo Victorina.

It makes GabyCruz send me threatening and highly humorous (unintentionally I am sure) personal messages. Anyone else, or I am just special? LOL.

BTW, GC, did you understand the Latin quote I posted in the forum where you were attacking Hillbilly's knowledge and credentials in the D.R. Find someone to translate it for you and learn something.

Robert, I agree, but some of us have done our share. I do not wish to spend the rest of my life fighting everyone else's battles for them. I just want some more of that wonderful dipping sauce from P.V. You think they'd part with the recipe for that? The problem here is that folks don't understand that responsible government requires responsible voters. This the D.R. does not have. GC is a prime example being ignorant of his own country's history. People like that gave Hippo the keys to the car and all the credit cards, he and his cronies wrecked Papi B's auto and maxed out the cards, and now that the whole house of cards is crumbling whine for help. Too late. I didn't make this mess, and I ain't helping clean it up.

G

GabyCruz

Listen To me carefully

Robert: please do not erase this> I am going to try to be civilize. The Doctor talk about medicine thecook about food or cooking , and I speak about Politic, because that is what I like ,and what right now isin my heart. I am In America, here exist the freedom of speech,I payed for my computer , I payed for may internet, My ideas are mine. If any one dont like what I said dont read it ignore it that is it. please you got to respect my ideas and my rights. because I pay my taxes.and I am my own boss,that's it.got it . If DR one dont like that we or I speak about political ideas.why dont they place it in the rules? or get out of my internet and make it aprivate monopolized board. I want answers. Thank you.GabyCRuz

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: OH say NOw ,can you seeee!?

Originally posted by GabyCruz
ENOUGH thread hijacking!!!!!

Read the title of the thread, please. Take a deep breath, and do it slowly and aloud so you'll not miss anything:

"SAY GOOD BYE TO POLLO VICTORNIA"

Now. Who's hijacking what? Relax, man.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: hmmmm

Marc said:
I believe the red text was "Last Edited by Rob"...

m

LOL! Mea culpa! After GC's little PM to me I was a bit blinded by the rage!

So, then, THANK YOU Robert!

I think I'll go have a glass of wine and some pizza and watch the girls go by now. At least then only my wife will yell at me. But she has dibs!

Tom

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: Listen To me carefully

GabyCruz said:
Robert: please do not erase this> I am going to try to be civilize. The Doctor talk about medicine thecook about food or cooking , and I speak about Politic, because that is what I like ,and what right now isin my heart. I am In America, here exist the freedom of speech,I payed for my computer , I payed for may internet, My ideas are mine. If any one dont like what I said dont read it ignore it that is it. please you got to respect my ideas and my rights. because I pay my taxes.and I am my own boss,that's it.got it . If DR one dont like that we or I speak about political ideas.why dont they place it in the rules? or get out of my internet and make it aprivate monopolized board. I want answers. Thank you.GabyCRuz

That's fine - Talk about it in your own damn thread! Better yet, come to the DR and walk your talk. In this thread, we are talking about fast food. Each of your political threads were 'laughed' out of the house because they say absolutely nothing of substance. Gaby, talk to us with some substance behind what you're saying and DON'T say it in a thread about chicken fast food chicken. Geez Robert, cut all of the gibberish - mine included....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
GabyCruz will no longer be participating on DR1.

After sending a number of posters abusive and offensive emails/PM's I had
no choice but to remove her access.