It's the real thing!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since soft drinks are such a part of Dominican life-rum and Coke, or just Coca-Cola straight up, and are on every table at every "fiesta" please take a look at this comparison-and no, I know it is not new and some of it can be questioned but it is good to think about...

Water vs. Coke

Water / Coke: This is really an eye opener. We all know that water is
important but I've never seen it written down like this before.

WATER

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of COKE

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola. Edit: This might have to do with the aluminum, also.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion. Edit: You can do the same thing with soda water

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield

For Your Info

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly Corrosive Materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a glass of water or a coke?

I have been "off" Coka-Cola (and Pepsi) for nearly a year, but like all sinners, sometimes I fall back into my evil ways...

HB

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Coke..The real thing!

Wow what an eye opener! I have used it to de-corrode a battery cable...Not a pretty thought for your stomach! Thanks for the eye opener! I had an old friend (In his 80's) He was a Mennonite (sp?) I rented a horse barn from him in Va..Anyway he contributed his good health to having NEVER drank a Coca Cola! That was about 15 years ago and I still remember him saying that! THanks for the info! Pam

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
And the best part is...

if you don't like water (Europeans, for example) you can drink Coke instead.

This post should be in the clown bin. In fact, it's been passed around in email as a joke for a long time.

The properties of Coke caused by it's acidity could also be ascribed to orange juice, so don't drink orange juice, either. In fact, the stomach itself is very acidic.

Coke also contains sugar and caffeine - two ingredients which help to stimulate when tired. It seems to me that Pepsi has too much sugar, so I prefer Coke.

I also like the fact that it is sold in bottles in the DR. Therefore, when I'm travelling there (bus, car, motorcycle, whatever), it's my preferred drink. (I usually wait until I'm stationary to switch to Presidente.)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, Andy A, I knew that it was old

But the part I liked was the thing on water. Few people realize just how important it is...

I am going to have to see what Wud is drinking, 'cause I always have ice and water with my rum...

And FYI, it is not just the acid in Coke, but what they have to add to it so it doesn't rot out the stomach right away...

Remember I drank the stuff for over 60 years!! Damn near weaned on it!

HB

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Hillbilly said:
But the part I liked was the thing on water. Few people realize just how important it is...
HB

I don't drink water at all, I don't crave it or like it. Thanks for the reminder. I really need to force myself to drink it more often.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
What a wonderful surprise!

While I was trained as a massage therapist, it was drummed into our heads about the importance of the consumption of water. Me, not being a water drinker at all then, I resisted strongly. I hated drinking water---no taste. It was not an option in this school and it is one of the things for which I am grateful to them. I now drink it daily.

You can not imagine the difference it makes in your health and, yes, especially for Americans since we have such a crappy diet. I could tell you many stories of clients' health experiences (improvements) just by adding water to their diet.

Kudos to Hillbilly!

Tondra

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:
7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for sumptuous brown gravy.

That just might work. I do know that you can make a delicious, moist roasted chicken on your Weber charcoal grill by stuffing a half full can of beer up its rear end and cooking it while "seated" on the can. Classic beer can chicken (sometimes referred to as butt chicken)! You can substitute a can of Coke for the beer; Dr. Pepper is also quite good. :)

As far as the rest of the stuff, Snopes comes to the rescue:

Coke legends

Swede

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
It cuts through stains, that's for sure!

You know what??????? I have a room inspection today and I actually used Coke on the toilet bowl and it worked! Left it in there for a few hours, flushed and didn't even have to worry about getting toilet bowl cleaner.........

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Room inspection

Hey Jon S I see you must be in the Military..I had to scrub floors in basic training and used Toothpaste (white paste type) to remove boot heel marks. Try that if your floors are a problem. You can also use Club Soda if you have no coke (or do not want people to see the brown stuff in your toilet while it sits) to do the toilet. Have fun on your inspections...I know I did! Pam

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Now we have carpets in the dorms but I'm at Langley AFB and the dorm that I'm in is from the 1960s............the carpet feels like a hard floor:confused: but I'm alright, in Basic training we had to use our Kiwi and the extra piece of belt that the TIs told us to keep to scrub the floors. I'm past all that training stuff so I don't get hit up for inspections like I used to, then again I could be permanent party in Korea and have a white-glove inspection every other day........ yeah we had a guy in our flight that used to scrub floors for a living and he was volun-told to use the squadron's big old buffer to do the floors, he did a hell of a job......

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Hey you are in the Big leagues at Langley!

Hey JonS, I sold a horse to a girl at Langley one time..that was probably when you were in diapers! I lived in Newport News Va for Several years as a kid. Drank my first "Slow Gin Fizz" at ChiChi's near Langley..underage and they never carded me and my friends..That is another story! Enjoy your military career I got out of the USAF in 1990...probably should have stayed in it was an easy life! Do you miss the DR? When were you last there? (I have to add the DR content ya know :) ) Pam

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Last time I was in DR was January 5 2002, so its been a while:(. I'm going there in December, hopefully meet the other part of the dysfunctional, crazy, loving DR1 family and just have fun..........Langley's alright, high-ass tempo and lots of stars and bars here, but it's alright, it's strategic to me since NYC is 7 hours away and Miami is a 2 hour flight, matter of fact, that reminds me about going to Washington DC next week, its gonna be fun

Sunshyne

Nov 27, 2002
Just my .02 on the importance of water. I'm a wannabe runner and was having a heck of a time exceeding the 5 mile mark until I asked one of the Nike trainers (Nike is sponsoring a huge run in Toronto). She asked if I hydrated enough and of course I said sure, thinking of the pre-run bottle of water I would drink. Uh uh, not enough. You have to hydrate ALL the time for your body to be supple. I've now been drinking 3+ litres, or about 6-7 bottles of water daily and I've run those 5 milers with ease. The only difference has been the water intake, but the impact on my performance has been tremendous! I've gone from training for 10k runs to thinking of a half-marathon, due in part to H20!
Coke - treat it like dessert.