Internet provider help -Archive mayhem

Birdie

Jul 31, 2002
Hi, all! I have an internet service question, and have searched the archives and for some reason the only relevant stuff that is turning up are messages that say "search the archives" or messages from years ago, which are archaic now. So I apologize for asking a question that may be a common one! Still I hope someone is willing to help me with this question...

I have just moved to the DR, adn need an internet connection (Santo Domingo) and wow Codetel is so expensive, about 60$ US per month, which I absolutely can't afford. Are there cheaper plans,an d who has them? And what about these internet service cards? I plan to use the internet quite a bit. Is it more expensive in the long -run to use these cards? Also, I was able to find recent info about using cable to access the internet. My questions is, can you connect a laptop to cable, and how?

Thank you Thank you Thank you to anyone who can offer updated advice and help!

Sinceremente,
Jane Allen

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
Internet/Laptop

High speed internet access is connected to any PC, whether it be a PC or laptop, via a LAN connection. With DSL or cable, you will get a "modem" that plugs into the wall. Then, there is a network cable (CAT 5) that runs to your laptop, from the cable modem. So, if your laptop does NOT have an onboard lan adapter, a PCMCIA card with a LAN adapter, or an external USB LAN adapter, you will not be able to use high speed internet access without first upgrading your laptop.

As for other internet options, I'm not informed. I won't be down in the DR until the beginning of August, but I'll be looking for internet access shortly after I arrive.

Good Luck.