Cap Cana-What impact?

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I'm sure we are all aware of the Cap Cana project. I just wanted to begin a discussion about the impact that this might have on the country. Some have said that this project (when finished) will put the DR on the map. All opinions and facts are welcome as I'm also looking to learn more about it and can't wait for this to become a reality. Now, I would like for some of the more informed ones to discuss how Cap Cana plans to deal with the Electricity problem when running their facilty. Are they planning to run their own plant? Again, all information is welcome and I'm sure this could be a thread for great discussion. What will be the pro's con's and so on.

DR_DEFENDER

roca

Jun 23, 2003
I would be interested in knowing too because if it is for rumors heard, this project just might never take off. I keep hearing sales r not as expected and that the Hazoury's international partners decided to call it quits. In addition, I've heard that Popular Bank is already handling the finances as they haven't been able to pay the loans. The only thing I know for sure is that if u want to have a nice day at the beach, with a personal Chef and a private helicopter ride all u have to do is call them up and tell them u r interested in buying. They will arrange a date 4 u, fly u there and give u the works with shrimp, lobster and anything else u want. Now, what I'm not sure is if u have to be a member of a well known ($$$) dominican family for this to happen.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Ask Mido, he's one of the posters here, he should give insight on the project. He seems to know more about it than everyone else. Hopefully this goes well as it will put the DR as a top-notch destination, not just an AI paradise.........

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
So, you mean to tell me that no one else has an interest in this or is it that no one else has any informtion about this project? Come on people I know you guys must have more to say about this!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I have not heard of talk of an electrical plant for the Cap Cana project. CEPM, the electrical consotium for Punta Cana/Macao area provides the power 24/7. It has a great record, given the history of power problems in the rest of the country, ten years without a black-out (failure of equipment or politics). If they do shut down if at all, it is for maintenance, and they send out notices to customers advising the day, time, and length. Why? ..The infrastructure is well maintained, the customers pay-on-time, and there is no electricity theft. So, why should Cap Cana build its own plant when there is a good source nearby?

Also, it is a given in this country, those who can afford a back-up power system for their home or hotel, install one. Regards, PJT

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
DR_DEFENDER said:
Thanks PJT....I was not aware of that.

I would not be aware of CEPM, but for the fact I keeping getting a reminder from them each month.

If I can find out more on Cap Cana and its own infrastructure I will advise. Regards, PJT

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
It is not very likely CEPM will supply power for CAP CANA because they will have their own power plant. Rumours say that they will start with a 4 MW generator and add on as needed. Talking about the foreign investors, all I can say is that for example Jack Nicklaus is still a co-developer and will finish the golf courses and his golf resort " The Bear Lodge". The 22nd of June they sold nearly 80 condos and plenty of golf and beach front lots.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Mido - or anyone else - What's the latest on the Cap Cana project? Their web site hasn't been updated in a long time. Figured I'd at least see the start of some homesites.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Cap Cana

Roca is correct. On my most recent trip to the DR I was offered the tour w/ the helicopter ride, etc.. they even offered to pay for an overnight stay at next-door Punta Cana Beach Resort. I ended up having to cancel for personal reasons and stayed back in SD. My invitation came through people who have already invested in the project. From these investors I learned pretty much what's on Ajititi's link to the Nickalus page. It's selling so well that they are designing new areas for development. Sorry but I never got to a chance to ask re. their energy supply.
-Tordok