is Celia Cruz died?

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
She was reported dead by error on 7/2/03 by the Miami media; however, she is on her deathbed.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Unfortunately, she indeed passed away. May God bless her soul. I went to Univision and they had some info on her death there......

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
From CNN at 6:15pm AT

Latin music icon Celia Cruz, the "Queen of Salsa," dies after battle with cancer, manager says.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
This is such sad news!!!! She really knew how to get a crowd dancing and was one of the best female salseras! May she rest in peace.

Apr 26, 2002
First Compay and now Celia. The last survivor of the original Sonora Matancera (which also featured the late Dominican singer and former neighbor of my grandmother Alberto Beltran) has left us.

A friend's 4-year-old automatically shouts "azucar!" whenever he sees her on TV.

This has been a sad, sad, week for latin music lovers.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
"?Az?car!"

RIP Celia. Too bad she was not able to live and see a free Cuba. I was fortunate to have met her in 1996 when she came to DC for the Smithsonian Centenial celebration. Oh well, the passing of an era.

RIP Celia

DCfred said:
"?Az?car!"

RIP Celia. Too bad she was not able to live and see a free Cuba. I was fortunate to have met her in 1996 when she came to DC for the Smithsonian Centenial celebration. Oh well, the passing of an era.

A wonderful artist, RIP Celia, your music lives on.

but a free Cuba she would had had to live to be over 100 years old.

bladeNYC

May 14, 2003
www.dr1.com
Se muere la dura

Que dios los tenga con sigo. ?La Se?ora de cabello de argodon? y "El rey del Son, Compay Segundo", vivieron y asi murieron ?con orgullo de su color, La Negrura?. God bless Celia Cruz and Compay Segundo.

Bobs

Jan 8, 2002
sin Azucar.

Afficionados of Latin music the world over have lost two icons within such a short time: Compay Segundo and Celia Cruz. I had the privilege of meeting both several times when they visited Amsterdam. As groupleader and fairly fluent in Spanish, I was assigned to their perimeter control. As a youngster, I remember watching her singing with Sonora Matancera. Fans then and many years later, in the Netherlands went crazy when La Reina sang the one song, she had in her repertoire, in a language other than Spanish (as far as I know) Papiamento : Tur hende bon, bin come, bin bebe, bin goza, no para mira......
A festive song in Papiamento, the language of the Dutch Antilles.

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
WTF is it with spanish-language TV????

I've been watching the Gold Cup soccer tournament on Univision and Galavision and they are still running commercials of Paulina Rubio and Celia Cruz singing, dancing and hawking Dr Pepper. That would never happen on any of the big four networks in the USA. Someone passes. They pull all that person's commercials pronto.
It's very sad to watch a commercial announcing Celia's "Final Farewell" special complete with a shot of her flag-draped coffin and then -bip- there she is selling soft drinks. Enough already.

SLM