Internet Telephoning to DR?

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Lately I've been getting unacceptable results with Dialpad - many "misfires" while still being charged, and very poor quality when finally connected.

I see that another such service, Iconnecthere (Deltathree), has apparently raised its rates to about 21 cents/minute, but perhaps without being able to call a cell phone at all.

The third choice I know, Net-to-Phone, still claims reasonable rates but requires a $25 payment to find out.

Could it be that they have reduced their bandwidth? Have their own costs been increased, perhaps?

Sam's Club's call card rates have gone up too, to about 21 cents/minute. This card has no connection fee (except through a pay phone) and no expiration.

I'm very familiar with the cards from Nobelcom - more hidden charges than you can shake a stick at - but is that now the only way?

P

phileco

net2phone and clicktel

net2phone works very well , very good quality , I use it everyday

I also use clicktel www.clicktel.com less easy to use but also good quality and cheaper than net2phone ( more time to get your call but that is worth it .

i have tried other stuff but that is the 2 that I recommend

anytime I can use MSn I use it , free !

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I just installed Dialpad on my computer but have yet to use it... maybe I'll look into other options. We have been using 101-6400 to call it's 12cents/min for landline and 24cent/min to cell phone, so I am looking to the internet for a less expensive option to cell phone. We do use $2 calling cards as well but they only give about 16 minutes on a cell phone.

It seems that since May 2003 the rates to the DR practally doubled especially to cell phones. I think many cell phone were not registering with U.S. companies as cell phones and so the call was the same cost as a landline call, not anymore. Verizon must have gotten a hold of the prefixes to charge accordingly.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Thanks for the responses.

kjdrga, don't be dissuaded from trying Dialpad just because it has not connected me well to the DR lately. Before, it was great, and it's still pretty good domestically at 3 cents/minute (about 12 cents/min to the DR, including cell phones). The problem might be with my internet connection, for example.

One thing I especially like about Dialpad is that you don't need to install it, but use it from a browser window. It works therefore from an internet cafe.

It's discouraging to see the prices of phone calls to the DR go up, even as they're going down to other parts of the world - reminds me of air travel.