Toyota or Hoda

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
Hello,
From reading previous post I found that if I want to buy a car in Santo Domingo then Toyota is the best choice. But what about Honda? Another quetion is that people suggest an SUV because of all the holes but doesn't an SUV comsume more gas? so is it really an advantage to go for an SUV instead of a regular car like a Camry? I will be driving a lot to commute from my house to University in Santo Domingo. Any info is greatly appreciated and thank you.
Ramon

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For some reason Toyotas seem to last

Get the smallest Toyota and ugliest. Driving in Santo Domingo is a b!tch and a half, parking nearly non-existant and auto theft at an all time high.

You should research public transportation before going this route.
You could rent a car for weekend trips out of the city, and save a bundle....You don't "have" to have a car...

HB

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
The DR is the one country I've lived in where you really don't need a car, the transportation system is excellent. Even with suitcase I would just buy another seat in the gua gua for my luggage. Yes it can be inconvient at times, but this what the majority of Domincian experience, it's one more step to getting to know the culture better. Nothing like a whole busload of stranger singing along to Marco Antonio Solis and passing the time quickly.

Whywould you want to deal with car payment, car insurance, stolen cars, getting hit and beat up. If you decide to invest in a car like Hillbilly said you'll want the ugliest and oldest thing around. That way you won't be a target to getting your car stolen, although it would probably happen anyway.

There are pot holes everywhere, a camry will get the living daylights beat out of it before you know it. You'd want to get a car with a high carraige clearence like an SUV, if you're worried about paying for the gas then don't get anything gas prices are only going to increase!

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Private vs. Public Transport

I would agree with the views on public transport. Although it's almost always overcrowded, sometimes slow (or nerve-rackingly fast), it gets you from A to B at a reasonable cost and it's a great way to get to know the language and the people. I know my Spanish is getting better because I can now eavesdrop on the guagua most of the time.

HOWEVER, if there is anyone out there who doesn't want to rough it and is looking for a good deal on a Chevy Truck, please get in touch and I'll make your day!!;)

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
Sometimes there is more to a car

than simple transportation. If you are a young man going to university here, a car can be a BIG status symbol (read chica magnet!!!). Bag the public transport, get you a SUV if possible (higher on the status level), if not, a toyota is best (more available parts, I'd guess) or a honda is a close second. Enjoy!

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
Food for though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all who replied to my post, your info is much appreciated. I'm Dominican and currently live in Boston so I'm used to overcrowding in buses and trains and if it comes to me using public transportation then it's no biggie. In the D.R. I've only had to take a public bus once and it wasn't that bad then again it was nightime so I don't know how it would be in the morning. To get around I took countless motoconchos but I was never alone when I took them or I would just get a taxi. Having a car over there would just be more convenient for me since I have family all over la capital, La Romana, and plan to do a lot of activities. I'm going to INTEC and from what I hear it's no so easy getting there with public transportation even though they just bought a bus that will shuttle students back and forth from JFK I believe. Again Thanks.
Ramon

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Bought a Mitsubishi L-200 doble cabina diesel 4wd a few days ago. Happy with it so far.