Games Restricting Travel to DR

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Today we just had a potential guest cancel her plans for a short stay at our hotel in mid-August. When she tried to get a flight into Sto Dgo via American Air, her flight reservation was denied. It seems that AA has restricted incoming flights due to the games. The guest did not say what the restriction was but that she could not book tickets on any available flights.

She also read the State Department Travel Advisory Warning for potential violence and disturbances during the games and that didn't help,...it scared the bejesus out of her.

I wonder how many of us hoteliers are going to be affected like this with the games right in the middle of our mini summer season (which isn't all that good this year anyway)? The games bringing us business? They're already running it away. Perhaps we should add our lost revenues to the cost of the games for the true picture of what this is really costing us.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Not a Problem on August 15th

If you go to AA.com and put in MIA to SDQ (since a lot connect via MIA) there are 7 available flights, some direct some via San Juan , between MIA and SDQ. 8 on the 16th. 9 on the 14th. Cheap too - all around $300.

Maybe they are trying to weasel out of coming.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I don't think this guest was trying to weasel out of coming. As you can see from a portion of last her email (after a flurry of mails back and forth making all arrangements with us) that I've posted below, she was unable to secure her flight on the 14th coming in from the northeast (and not Miami).

The state department warning has already been discussed here on the forum and this is just another concrete example of how something as trivial as a standard travel disclaimer affects us. When the world sneezes the DR gets pneumonia.

Portion of Guest's message: "I was in the process of booking my flight to come. After selecting my flights and preparing to purchase tickets - a message came up stating that a ticket could not be processed and to choose another destination. I decided to call directly to reserve my flight. However, the airlines have restricted travel, but the agent could not tell me why. I investigated further and learned about the games you mentioned. An online Washington AFP article from July 3 states that the US State department has alerted travelers about security precautions and unrest that may take place during the games. Several warnings were given to travelers during the times of the games. I can't even make an airline reservation. I was getting very excited about this trip and looking forward to coming. I will have to change my plans. Thank you so much for all of your help."

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
She's BS'ing You, Plainly

Since there are oodles and boodles of flights from MIA (and of course she'd fly from Point A to C via B, MIA). Then there cannot be a prohibition or lack of flights.

And an agent would say either a) they are sold out or b) it is "banned" ( and was Libya, Cuba or Iraq as a result) but we all know that is a load of codswallop so she ain't coming because she doesn't want to.

Even if she cannot connect via MIA then I bet if you go to AA.com or continental site you will find no shortage of flights mid -August via JFK, or BOS on AA or EWR on CO.

The Italians arrive by the gross in August also, and the middle of the month won't be an exception so this is simply untrue. And she is shining you on.

P.S. ON 8/14 AA has 14 flights from JFK to SDQ available right now some direct some via SJU.

Etc.,etc., etc.

Last edited:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I can only report what a guest tells me. And having been in this business for a while, I've kinda learned who's BSing and who's not. I tend to believe her. Of course I could be wrong, but since you're in Canada and I'm down here in the boonies in the DR you probably know better than I.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Andy B said:
I can only report what a guest tells me. And having been in this business for a while, I've kinda learned who's BSing and who's not. I tend to believe her. Of course I could be wrong, but since you're in Canada and I'm down here in the boonies in the DR you probably know better than I.

I think what you have is a guest too easily influenced by excessive over-research, one "risky" word and she bailed out.

If there is a State Department "warning" about unrest in a place trying to attract guests to the PanAm games that is a real shame, as the DR can really use the tourists, the trafiic and the promotion.

But as for the airlines all systems are go and she was giving you the gears on the "clerk" on the phone not willing to sell tickets. Actually the overabundance of seats on all these flights is a bad omen for August traffic, tourists and games attendees combined. I hope they go/come to the DR for them.

I might come down the August 1st long weekend now if AA is cheap enough.

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
Plane OK

There may be a bug in the system. I tried to book from Burbank [which is smaller but less congested] to SDQ no Luck. Confusing. Then from LA, no Problem. And Good rates. Now i need a budget priced room...
"Quien sabe?"
Do they have a happy face for shoulder shrugging? -k