aRE THERE ANY IDEPENDENT PRESIDENTIAL CANDIATES?

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
It seems that a great change is needed to change the system in DR . It has to change and soon. The rate of inflation, the many crooks and gansters in the gov't etc. Place someone in this spot please! It there a Women's Party? manybe they will not line up with their hand out and into the national coffers, like the two main party that keep taking turns at the robbing the country blind!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
There are 3 main parties in the DR

PRD Hippo's gang
PLD Fernandez's bunch
PRSC Balaguer's Party Which is Declining

Besides those 3 there are dozens of little parties. None of which have much of a chance than to be more than a Blip on the DR's political Radar screen.
I believe that there use to be a "Woman's" Party but so what? Just because they are women it does not mean they cannot be just as corrupt if not more. Imelda Marcos, Indhira Ghandi, Evita Peron I & II, Hillary Clinton all were women and corrupt. Remember. The VP of the DR now is a woman.

Last edited:

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
interesting idea....

mariaobetsanov said:
It there a Women's Party? manybe they will not line up with their hand out and into the national coffers, like the two main party that keep taking turns at the robbing the country blind!

Who knows? a Women's Party could make a difference.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: interesting idea....

Forbeca said:
Who knows? a Women's Party could make a difference.

Yea right! They will start a war every 28 days.

Actually I would have no problem voting for a woman for President if I agreed with her politics. But Voting for a woman just because she is a woman is like voting for a Black or Latin Cannidate just because of their race. Stupid at best. Racist/Sexist at the worse.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Tony C said:
Yea right! They will start a war every 28 days.

Do you really think a comment like that is necessary????

Actually I would have no problem voting for a woman for President if I agreed with her politics.

That's more like it.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Tony C said:
Forbeca,

You just displayed one reason why someone should not vote for a woman. Women have no Sense of Humor!

That's right, we mean business all the way!!!!

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Ipersonally think that a parliamentary system would work better in the Dominican Republic.

The head of state would a be a president, elected by all the people, but his duties would be mostly symbolic, a symbol of unity, something like the president of Germany.

The head of government would be elected by the majority in parliament and his government would be subject to keeping a working mayority.

This arrangement would solve one big problem: you could criticize the head of government without criticizing the head of state. I've noticed in the DR they have been hauling people to jail for their comments towards the president. Since in a parliamentary system, the president would basically cut ribbons there is nothing to criticize, thus no insults, save the dresses his wife buys, that kid of silly thing.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
What? And you don't think that a DR Prime minister with control of the legislative body would ammend the law to include disparaging remarks against the head of Gov as well?
I am not a fan of the parlimentary syestem as it limits the checks and balances needed and it relies too heavily on the "Goodness" of the party in power.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
I am not a fan of the parlimentary syestem as it limits the checks and balances needed and it relies too heavily on the "Goodness" of the party in power.

but look at the DR now- the PRD controls everything, all branches of government. One could argue that this monopoly of power was a catalyst for the economic meltdown the country is now suffering.