New Disco Opens in Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Voodoo Lounge opened last night. Crowded and loud. It is located on the corner opposite La Roca in the building that once was said to be the new home of Burger King. It is a 2-story building with huge amplifiers on both floors. Since I live several blocks away and could hear the boom-boom-boom without trouble, I can attest to the fact they work. A Dominican friend who is no stranger to discos told me he had to put plugs in his ears.

Word is that the disco will be open Thursday thru Sunday nights. But what the crowds will be like in the future, remains to be seen. The Domincans who were there last night were impressed, but said the drinks were much too expensive. A Presidente, for example, cost RD$80

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
High Carribe, on the opposite end of sosua is only open thurs night thru sun night and buisness there is bad. Now that there are 2 discos competeing against each other I dont see how they will make any money. I think the spot that you described where the new disco was built is an ideal spot...once the tourists come back. If they can wait out the bad times I am sure they will do well. On the other hand, sometimes when buisnesses such as these compete against each other strange disasters happen. Remember Willys disco in sosua and what happened to it? One night it just caught into flames and burned to the ground. I wonder how that happened.

Larry

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
yeah, bring back the good times

realtors and 'quality' tourist and retirees had their way long enuf.
greetings from thailand x.

ps. things are just a little better here. tourism is still down.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Ken - How bad was the noise way down at El Neptuno, and are there any noise statutes in Sosua? I would hate to pay top dollar for a condo and then be kept up at night by a hotel or disco. - D

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
I just passed there, it sure looks nice, hope they are lucky with their business there.
The music can be heard on the street, for all windows are open, but I don't think it's too loud.

RD$80 for a beer....seems a lot for locals, for european tourists however it's about 2 Euro, just what they are used to pay for a beer at home.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The first night the music was much too loud. But since then I have no complaints. I suspect there were complaints. Certainly the nearby restaurants wouldn't have appreciated such loud music, either. In any case, the noise problem seems to have been solved. Gracias a Dios.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Ken - Perhaps this is a question for the legal forum, but what would happen if the owner was un-cooperative and ignored complaints? The same with a hotel, some of which must have considerable clout in the town. I'm considering one of those over-priced units going up behind Piergorgio. What if the the hotel decides to play music late at night in their outdoor restaurant, or cater late weddings, etc.? Am I screwed? - D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Danny W said:
Ken - How bad was the noise way down at El Neptuno, and are there any noise statutes in Sosua? I would hate to pay top dollar for a condo and then be kept up at night by a hotel or disco. - D
I was only able to slightly hear it outside at my car. Inside the condo I could only hear myself snore.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I know, but if they go out of business you and Ken might buy it - then I'll be in trouble!!!!! - D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Danny W, there are noise restrictions but no guarantees. In otherwords, it is possible that there could be an activity with loud music. Normally hotels try not to keep all guests awake all night, but there is always a chance.

Good earplugs are available that are designed for noise. My wife and I have those foam-like plugs that you put in your ears and that are very effective. On nights when we are bothered by noise, such as the night of the inauguration of the disco, we use the earplugs and sleep soundly.

I'd suggest that as a precaution you get some good earplugs. When you shop for them, check the sound blockage rating and get the highest rated you can find. Then you will be ready for anything.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Thanks - I've lived all over Manhattan so I'm an old pro with earplugs. Your neighborhhood always seemed real quiet. If you want to live in town, you have to make compromises, but that La Puntilla area seems to have the best of both worlds. - D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This neighborhood is very quiet. No matter where you live, there are likely to be noise problems such as traffic on nearby highway, motorcycles, roosters crowing, etc. I'd say it is quieter here than it is many places, in or out of the town.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Rooster crowing...:)

Do you actually have to wear ear plugs for roosters? Kidding...:) I have about 25 myself..I call it the "Sound of Music"..My neighbor may have to wear ear plugs though..Oh yeah.. THAT is why I have 25 roosters I forgot! :) Pam

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
gerd said:
I just passed there, it sure looks nice, hope they are lucky with their business there.

RD$80 for a beer....seems a lot for locals, for european tourists however it's about 2 Euro, just what they are used to pay for a beer at home.

Whether they make it or not remains to be seen. Apparently the building has been leased from the hotel by Canadians and there are indications they may not have done enough market research before hand. Word on the street is that they are paying US$6,000/month, but I have no way to verify this.

What I do know is that they opened with Presidente selling for RD$80, a cuba libre for RD$100, and a mixed drink for US$2.35. In the US, Canada or Europe, these prices may be in line, but there aren't enough of them in Sosua at this time. They must depend on locals, and they can't/won't pay those prices. Which is why there haven't been many patrons since the opening.

But it appears this message is getting through. When I passed the disco a short time ago I saw a sign in front indicating 3 for 1 for beer and cuba libre. Prices like that should get them back in business, but whether the income will be sufficient to cover all expenses is yet to be determined.

I hope it survives (as long as the music doesn't keep me awake). Vamos a ver.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Ken
Must say I disagree with you big time here. If they take 100 pesos for a cuba libre and 80 pesos for a presidente, i really hope they don't survive. If they survive with those prices, it will destroy the whole pricelevel in Sosua. Those prices is outrages, it dosent help if they have some special offers of 3 to 1 (Its anyhow very unpractical if you go out alone, or if you are 4 friends going there). And why take 20 pesos more for a cuba libre than a Presidente ? Every other place in town, the price ist either equal, or the Presidente is more expensive.
I appriciate every new place in town, but not with those kind of ripp off prices. Hope they loose a lot of money, and have to close down. I herby advise everybody to boycott the place.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, we do have a disagreement because I hope they survive long enough to get the market they are after. They are not looking to compete with the carwash or High Caribee (sp?), but to the market they hope will be generated by the new Starz complex. Those people will need entertainment too, just as much as the visitors here on cheap AI packages, including those whose idea of a big night out is nursing a drink for 4 or 5 hours.

We'll see what happens, but as of now I think they are making a wise move to maintain their prices but fill the present void with their 3 for 1 offer.

If Sosua only provides entertainment for those here for prostitutes and cheap drinks, it doesn't have much of a future. The prostitute/cheap drink crowd might like it to be that way, but there are an awful lot who want something much better for the town.

If you can't see the difference in investment and ambiance between the carwash and The Vodoo lounge.........

Last edited:

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Well Ken
My main consern is that if this place survive with that kind of prices, most other places will turn up their prices also. But if you want Sosua to turn into a new Cancun, I understand you. I however like Sosua the way it has been.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, most other places will not turn up their prices because they know their market is different.

I'm sure there will still be places for you to drink and carouse when The Vodoo Lounge is filled with people who can pay those prices and who will never go to the cheap places where you hang out.

Sosua is in the process of making some changes and you can't turn the clock back. The Starz resort complex is evidence of that. The hotels are here, now activities must be provided for them. They aren't in competition with the cheap hotels, nor do they want to always be competing with the places many of the guests of those hotels prefer. But they do need to survive during the transition and for that reason I wish them well (as long as they keep the volumn down so I can sleep at night).