How to Time Arrival to Dominican Activities?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is there a rule of thumb that Dominicans use to know when to arrive at activities so as to minimize the time spent waiting? Been thinking about this since attending the wedding of a friend last night.

When the bride-to-be delivered our invitation, Barbara, noting that the wedding was scheduled for 7 pm, jokingly asked if this was American or Domican time. Our friend, in seriousness, suggested we arrive at the church about 7:30 so as not to be the first there. Well, old habits die hard, so we got there about 7pm, "just to be sure". We weren't the first to arrive, but close to it.

About 7:15 the doors of the church were opened, and people started straggling in. Shortly thereafter a doctor from Puerto Plata sat next to us and said she thought from the looks of the number present that it probably would be about 8pm.

By 8 there were quite a few in the church and we were hoping the wedding would start, but no luck. People continued to come in. The wedding started at 8:30, and by then the church was full, plus there was a large group of area residents gathered in the street and peering through the door. They weren't invited, but this was apparently the best show in town at that moment.

But the question that I am hoping Pib or others can answer is how to time the arrival to an acitivity that is scheduled to start at a particular time.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Formal - add an hour and half. Informal - add an hour. Regards, PJT

palmas

Jan 7, 2002
time arrival

Ken,

If the Dominicans are anything like the portuguese, then, whatever time is on the invitation, you add one more hour to it. The portuguese never rush with their plans to arrive on time, but when it comes time to get there then they are in a hurry. My father being a true portuguese is like that, I always have to tell him an hour earlier so that he may arrive on time. He'll fit right in when he goes with us in Aug. to Sosua. I also remember Ron and Agnes mentioning a similar situation not too long ago, and it too was a wedding.

Rushing around may be a little too stressful for the latin blooded, leave that for the North Americans, we seem to have mastered the art of living a life of stress.

See you in 3 wks.
Palmas (Anabela)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I concur

I have helped plan a lot of events and we'd always say: "Let's begin at 7:00 p.m., okey?"

Everyone agrees, so we send out invites for 6:00 p.m.

When it is serious stuff, we'd always try and convey the message, "Hora Americana" Or "Hora Ingl?s".......

There are some events, like PUCMM graduation ceremonies, that are pretty close to being "on time."

Anything to do with politicians, well you can add up to 2 1/2 hours to most of them....

HB

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
.......and they drive in excess of 120 kph to arrive to and be late for the event, figure it out! Regards, PJT

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Timing

Things that start on time in the DR:

1) Mass
2) Events at the Teatro Nacional
3) Festival Presidente de Musica Latina
4) .... you're expecting more!?!?!?!?!?!?