I need to learn Spanish in a week!! HELP

Franke

Jul 20, 2003
hi everyone! I am planning a trip to the DR from Friday (7/25) through the 12th of August. I'd like very much to learn as much conversational Spanish as possible in the amount of time that I have before I leave. Can someone refer me to the best website, book, tape, CD or other?? I would even be willing to meet someone ONLINE each night between now and Friday and learn whatever I can! I will be attending the Pan Am games and if you are near Santo Domingo, I'd love to continue learning while I am there for the 3 weeks. Email or "IM" me at donlonphoto@aol.com Thanks in advance. Franke

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
That's a Tall Order Franke

Should have started a little sooner. Too late for you to get a Dominican wife who doesn't speak English to teach you like I did. :: smile ::

Everyone learns differently, different methods work for different folks. This Pimsleur listen and repeat though is very good and I highly recommend it. Much better than anything else I had seen or used including other audio programs, CD's, computer programs etc. Basic and fast. It'll have you going with lots of basic phrases in just a few days. Well worth the money if you're in a hurry:

http://www.pimsleurapproach.com/em.asp?learn=Spanish&v=SPALm91-01

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Franke, I see you got my email and came on over to this forum.

Since you will be photographing the Games, are there particular phrases you would like to know? Such as, "A little to the left and smile" or something like that?

Perhaps you could list some of the phrases you would like to know and we can help you further.

There is also a chat function on this board, you may want to try it out, Chat usually gets going after 10 pm.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Some photografers terms and a word of advice

Advice:

Dominican photographers are total animals and have no ethics or knowledge of proper demeanor at a sporting event. They crowd, push and shove, and I don't expect the games to be any different.

However, aren't you the one going to do the Equestrian Events? That might help, since they will be barely, scarcely attended.

Phrases:

Outta the way!! keetate del medio!

Please get out of my way: Por Favor, moo eh va te un po kee to.(Mu?vate un poquito)

Left--iz kee yer do (Izquierdo)
Right: Derecha, a la derecha--go right Mu?vate a la derecha--go to the right

Sun--sol
Light--luz

Thanks--Muchas gracias--mo? chass grah see ahs

That Enough for now

HB

abe

Jan 2, 2002
when you have more time.....

audioforum is a company that produces the US State Department's language teaching approach on tape and CD.

Barron's educational publishers do too.

For seriously motivated language learners only. It is the best, but you really really don't have enough time.

For the long run, this is the way to go.

Have fun. Hydrate and when it gets really hot, roll a frosty bottle of Presidente across your forehead before drinking it.

Franke

Jul 20, 2003
quick note of thanks

muchos gracias to all that have responded. Thank you for all of your input and advice...short and long term. I will do the best that I can in the time that I have. I will be happy to pay for a private tutor during my stay. Please email
( donlonphoto@aol.com ) me if interested and provide me with a phone number so that I can contact you once I am in the city. Again...thank you for everything. Franke