Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Puerto Plata questions

Hello All,

I stumbled upon this forum today and was so pleased to see how friendly and helpful everyone was. Anyway - My wife and I are traveling from the US (Commecticut) to Puerto Plata in Feb 04 for 9 days, we are actually booking the hotel tonight. I have a few questions:

1. The hotel is Casa Marina Beach and Reef - an Amhsa Resort - has anyone stayed at this hotel, is it nice? friendly staff? food?

2. Do all of the hotel have excursions to do snorkeling, parasailing, scuba, site seeing etc?

3. What is the weather like in February?

4. Are there any "must see" things to do while there?

Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Okey, since you are from the Nutmeg state I'll answer a bit

1) Do a search in Resorts for opinions on this resort in the small town of Sosua. they are positive.

2) Weather is like always, much better the Connecticut in February. I know since I lived in New Milford for three years....
    Bring lots of sun block-so as not to ruin your vacation and bug spray so you don't feed the locals....

3) Yes, there are tons of day trips..Four wheel excurions, Jungles in an 8 x 8 all terrain vehicle, trips to waterfalls and cable cars..
    the "must see" things are in Puerto Plata, just a 20 minute taxi, bus or guagua ride away. Ambar Museum, San Felipe Fort, Town Square, Victorian architecture

4) You will have fun...

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CHECK OUT CABARETE

Definately spend a day or 3 in Cabarete. It's only a 10 minute taxi ride from Sosua. A fantastic beach lined with dozens of great little bars and restaurants. The bay is filled with color from the many windsurfers and kiteboarders. It's definately a must see.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As Hillbilly indicated, Casa Marina Beach/Reef resort is in Sosua, not Puerto Plata. Here is a link to the Sosua website. There you will find much info, including info on the resort http://www.sosua.com/

As Camden Tom indicated, nearby Cabarete is also worth a day or more, especially if you want to windsurf. Cabarete is world famous for windsurfing and kiting. Plus it is a great town to spend a day or two. It is easily reached by taxi or public transportation. Here are 2 links to Cabarete http://www.activecabarete.com/ http://www.hispaniola.com/Cabarete/index.html

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Weather is like always, much better the Connecticut in February. I know since I lived in New Milford for three years....
    Hell is better than Connecticut in Feb. HB!! I have lived in Stratford all my 56 years. Do the funny bikes (quad runners) it's a three hour ride through the back country and small villages and then down to the beach. Good chance to get off the "beaten path" and a lot of fun. Also doen't miss the cable car ride to the top of Isabella Del Torres (sp) great view of the Puerto Plata area!!!! Now you will be hooked on the DR like the rest of us!
    John

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The cable car is well worth it, but just make sure you go on a clear morning when you can see the top of the mountain, otherwise you'll get up there and not be able to see a thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Generosity

Thanks everyone for your help. Your suggestions have been great and now we are looking forward to our trip even more than we were yesterday.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I can only answer 2 ?'s

The weather will be nice when you go there. Remember your going to the Carribean!

Parasailing, Snorkeling & other "physical" activities are done at your own risk. From what I understand cost additional & you may need a waiver to sign (hotel estab. not liable). It's the whole thing of you getting hurt & your (U.S.) life insurance not carrying over into another country. If you sprain your wrist & have to go to a hospital, be prepared to dish out a lot of dough. Not trying to take any fun out of it. But that's how it was explained to me when I was there.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by SuperStar
    Parasailing, Snorkeling & other "physical" activities are done at your own risk. From what I understand cost additional & you may need a waiver to sign (hotel estab. not liable). It's the whole thing of you getting hurt & your (U.S.) life insurance not carrying over into another country. If you sprain your wrist & have to go to a hospital, be prepared to dish out a lot of dough. Not trying to take any fun out of it. But that's how it was explained to me when I was there.
    Whoever gave this explanation to SuperStar must have been discouraging him from taking part in activities offered by other than the person giving this "explanation".

Actually, doctor and hospital costs in the DR are well below what is charged in the US and many other countries. And while it is true that your health insurance won't be accepted, you can pay the bill and then put in a claim to your health insurance company. I've been doing that for 17 years. If a person is injured in Cabarete while windsurfing or parasailing, I would recommend that they be taken to ServiMed on the main street of Cabarete. I can guarantee that you won't be overcharged.

If you want to scuba dive, you would most likely be better off if you didn't buy it from a tour operator at the hotel since they will need to make a commission. On the main street of Sosua, within easy walking of Casa Marina Beach/Reef, is Northercoast Diving. I highly recommend them http://www.northerncoastdiving.com/

For kiteboarding/kitesurfing, Kitexcite in Cabarete would be a good choice http://www.kitexcite.com./en/index.html

Windsurfing is available from three or four shops on the beach. Just walk along the main street of Sosua and you will find them.

As far as sight seeing trips, there are tour operators at the hotel selling a variety of excursions.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

HI,

I always just buy the travel insurance when I get my ticket.It's been good for all my bumps and falls when I first got into the moterbikes.

The cost last year was $40.00 Canadian

That was the two week cost.

Hope this helps.....enjoy your trip

JUDY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast