X M Radio

Forrest

Jun 28, 2003
www.theveits.com
I have been enjoying X M satellite radio here in Florida for over a year. Can anyone tell me if you can recieve the S M satellite signal in the DR? I have called the XM customer service folks and they have been unable to tell me if their signal reaches into the DR. Thanks for your responses.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Forrest, with some efforts you could probably get it to work in the DR but I wouldn?t bet the farm on it. I think a stationary setup may work on the northwest side of the island with a high gain antenna (might even need a parabolic dish aimed at one of the satellites) but even that setup is questionable at best. The footprint of ROCK and ROLL (the two XM radio satellites) are very similar and signal strength tapers rapidly after the northern haft of the island of Cuba. My opinion is solely based on the footprint map (satellite coverage area), your mileage may vary.

If you have a portable, activate, XM radio unit perhaps you could bring it with you on your next visit to DR and share your test results with us. In any event, here is a link where you can view ROCK and ROLL footprint map.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Not without a dish

I have the Sony plug and play model with the little antenna, no cigar, either in Puerto Plata or in the Turks & Caicos to the north.
Since the frequency is "S" band what will work is a little Direct TV dish. Attach your XM antenna to the end of the little bracket that would hold the LNB for the little dish and have the top of the antenna looking at the middle of the dish. The bird that best covers the DR is 115 degrees so have the dish look SW and scan the sky to find the bird around a 45 degree angle ( with straight up being 0 and the ground being 90 degrees. The signal is hot enough that you don't have to be too accurate.
XM works great in Jamaica out of the box.

Forrest

Jun 28, 2003
www.theveits.com
I really appreciate both answers on the XM radio. My son may be in the DR in the near future. If he does make it there I may send my PLUG N PLAY unit with him to try out. If he does not have any luck with the regular antenna then I will try with the Direct TV dish when we move there. We plan to be in the Sosua area.

Thanks again,
Forrest

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Just a note to help someone out in the future - while XM doesn't work in the DR (the satellite does not reach), Sirius does, I have successfully activated a unit in Santiago.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Check out...

ERICKXSON said:
how does sirius work please let us know.
www.siriusradio.com for their web site. There is also an exceptionally lively MSN group, which is the most active one by far....you can learn more than maybe you ever wanted to know perhaps. In many ways it reminds me of DR1! Passionate people discussing an interesting topic.

You can find it as follows:

www.msn.com
Go to the little stock box and type in SIRI
Go to the Stock Picker number [now 5 I think]
Scroll down to Message Boards
At the bottom of the MB are the most active, usually SIRI
Go for it....the members are as helpful as the folks at DR1

Be careful not to fall in love with the stock though.

All best, P

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Sirius Update

Ok, here's an update:

With the provided antenna it does not work very well. I ended up only getting reception for an hour a day.

To get it working more reliably, you need this antenna:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conte...s/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1066068010890

Its the sir6 antenna (for mounting in your house), they also have the sir3 antenna for mounting on your car. The reception I have right now is mostly stable, and sounds pretty good, although its only 1 bar (out of 3 I think) on my receiver. This will likely change during the day and night as the satellites move around. The guys in Puerto Rico have this working pretty well, so we should be fine here in the DR.

While I was waiting for the antenna to arrive, I mostly streamed the radio via the net. That was pretty cool, although low quality.

If you buy the sir6, you will probably also need an extension cable:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conte...s/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1066068010932

I got one as well, it was necessary for the distance to the roof.

Touch wood, its working pretty much ok. The quality is MUCH better than their internet audio stream, and also better than the radio. I don't know if its full quality, although it sounds nice. :)

Bottom line: don't bring a Sirius to the DR unless you're prepared to shell out for the antenna. Then it seems to work pretty well.

I hope this was useful for someone.

Adrian

pedrodominicus

Dec 2, 2003
With a Dishnetwork satellite system you can receive around 40, digital high quality Sirius channels. With a micky mouse antena on the top of your car, in the DR, forget it. The signal for XM is even weaker.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
pedrodominicus said:
With a Dishnetwork satellite system you can receive around 40, digital high quality Sirius channels. With a micky mouse antena on the top of your car, in the DR, forget it. The signal for XM is even weaker.

Well, I guess you have no idea what you're talking about.

With my "mickey mouse" antenna mounted on my roof (of my apartment), I am getting perfect reception. The music and talk radio selection are both excellent.

I am pretty sure it would work fine on a car too with a Terk antenna. Two guys in Puerto Rico have told me they've gotten it working in their cars, with great reception - and PR is further away than the DR.

pedrodominicus

Dec 2, 2003
GO-adrianb-GO-adrianb-GO-adrianb, that's what its all about, prove us all wrong. Glad to here you can get satellite radio, (without micky). Out of curiosity which service can you receive? Are you still refering to sirius? If so, where on the island are you located? GO-adrianb. ;)

DRSirius

Sep 3, 2005
adrianb said:
Well, I guess you have no idea what you're talking about.

With my "mickey mouse" antenna mounted on my roof (of my apartment), I am getting perfect reception. The music and talk radio selection are both excellent.

I am pretty sure it would work fine on a car too with a Terk antenna. Two guys in Puerto Rico have told me they've gotten it working in their cars, with great reception - and PR is further away than the DR.

When you say your Mickey Mouse antenna, do you mean the one that comes with the radio receiver? I just bought a small Sirius receiver and I have been enjoying the programming for the last couple of weeks here in Florida. I will be visiting the DR soon and I was wondering if the receiver will work there with the antenna it came with. Please let me know...

Thanks

pedrodominicus

Dec 2, 2003
DRSirius

The standard antenna probably wont work here. Think if you check the links that adrianb posted the Terk antenna is a high gain unit and does not normally come with the receiver.

Only one way to find out for sure. ;) ;)

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
Sirius Satellite Radio

At the place where I work on Sosua beach we have had Sirius working for four or five months without any problems whatsoever. The kit that was purchased included an antenna for the business, one for the house and one for the car. I can only attest to the fact that the one at the business has never had a problem. It is mounted on top of a light pole at the beach so I couldn't tell you if it would work on the ground. Hope that helps.

DRSirius said:
When you say your Mickey Mouse antenna, do you mean the one that comes with the radio receiver? I just bought a small Sirius receiver and I have been enjoying the programming for the last couple of weeks here in Florida. I will be visiting the DR soon and I was wondering if the receiver will work there with the antenna it came with. Please let me know...

Thanks