Things 2 remember

Chris & Anewta

Jul 20, 2003
Hello everyone!

What souvenirs represent the heart of DR (except rum and cigars)?

Also need an advice on finding the cheapest places to get them.

Thanks in advance!

carcoll

Mar 31, 2003
hmm...

I think those pottery-dolls that have no face to them are known to be from the D.R......they are gorgeous.....Also, some paintings of houses, carriages, etc.......of course don't forget Amber or Larimar!
oh. where to get them.......

well in Puerto Plata, there is a big Plaza or Mall like place in the town.... if you ask any concierge or taxi, they should know how to get there as it is not far from all the resorts there..

In Santiago, there is another Mall on El Calle Sol, I think it's called El Mercado...........it's a tourist place..........be sure to bargain, don't ever pay for the firt price that they give you, bargain because they will sell it for less........also, if they say no to a price, just walk away, they usually will change their minds when you do or the next person will have the same item.....all the vendors usually have the same souveniers or stuff........hope this helps!!!

Last edited:

lperez

Jun 17, 2002
The paintings

I always bring the paintings back. Everyone here in the US loves them. You can also ask the guy on the street to take it off the wood and you can roll it up or lay it flat in the suit case. Saves a lot of space.

Lori

Dec 9, 2002
Amber jewellery is a must, and Dominican amber is some of the finest is the world. Also larimar, which is only found on the island of Hispaniola and nowhere else in the world apparently - it is a semi precious stone, a little like turquoise, but paler.

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
Larimar?

I guess from the post that Larimar is not transparent but i am very interested because i have never heard of it. Does it have dark lines in it like some tourquiose? Are the silversmiths good? or just free stones? what is it like before it is polished? Sorry, so many questions. My Dad was a geologist on the Navajo indian reservation so i like the background on stones. Larimar is on special list of things to see. -k

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Kay, Larimar would be a great choice because it is unique to the DR. Those paintings mentioned above are almost all painted by Haitians.

The best place in the country to buy Larimar jewelry is from Ambar Nacional (Ambasa) in Santo Domingo. They do outstanding work with amber and larimar. They also have a marvelous amber and larimar museum. Given your interestes, this would be a highlight of your visit.

Here are a couple of links to their website that will be of interest to you http://www.larimarmuseum.org/ http://www.larimarfactory.com/e_belleza.html
http://www.amberworldmuseum.com/aboutus.html

Last edited:

Chris & Anewta

Jul 20, 2003
Muchas gracias!

We've already prepared a shopping list. Also special thanks to carcoll for buying tips. They sure will be useful. We didn't metioned the place we staying at (Punta Cana) so if someone knows good places to bargain for the souvenirs it would be great.

There are no customs problems with larimar or paintings, are there? Also how to distinguish fake larimar?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chris & Anewta said:

There are no customs problems with larimar or paintings, are there? Also how to distinguish fake larimar?

Should be no trouble with customs.

When buying amber or larimar, your best protection is buying from a reputable source. I would not buy from the vendors that roam the streets and beaches with their boxes of jewelry no matter what the price. Buy from a reputable seller. You may pay more than the price quoted by the roving vendors, but you will be getting the real thing and not an immitation.

Last edited:

Chris & Anewta

Jul 20, 2003
SORRRY!

We are sorry, Ken!
I hope that last thread didn't abuse you... That was just because we had some problems with browser window and it showed just your quote...

One more time. SORRY!

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Fake Larimar

As others have posted - stick to the reputable dealers.
However, if you fancy a beach traders wares the try the old lighter/matches trick of intending to test the stone with fire! If it's real - no problem - if it's fake then he'll scream and run a mile!!!
For silver - unless you know your metals then it is difficult to know what is good and what is bad? If you're in Sosua then go see Patrick's Silversmithy opposite La Roca - he's good!