Propane BarB Q on North Coast??

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Where can I buy a propane BARBQ as we are used to in North America? I didn't see many BARBQs in housing development, why is that? In North America, it's in EVERY backward.

I'm a big lover of meat and BBQ is a must. There is a lot of very tasty meat and very cheap all over the place but I need a BBQ. Any idea of pricing for a standard one? Can I get the propane tank filled in Sosua?

Didn't find a thread containing the info.

Thanks,

ecarignan

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
All I can tell you is you won't have trouble finding propane tanks or filling them.

I think most Dominicans are not into bbq simply because of the cost involved. They would not waste their money on filling up the tanks. As it is many Dominican I know don't use their ovens because it consumes so much gas.

Plus meat isn't always that cheap either to the average Dominican.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I know that I have seen BBQs in Santiago at La Sirena. There must be a place in Puerto Plata which also sells them. I'm sure someone in DR1 land has seen them around.

From what I can remember, they started at about 3000 pesos at La Sirena. If you plan on using it often, then it's worth it. At least I agree with you! Nothing like barbeque! Meats, chicken, fish, hamburgers, hot dogs!

Maryanne

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
For a good American style propane BBQ try PriceMart in Santiago on Av. Estrella Sadhala. They always have a fair selection. I have seen some occasionally in La Sirena. But I was just there in the one on Calle del Sol yesterday and don't remember seeing any. Usually the other La Sirena has more of the upscale products. They also sell them at Hache, and for sure at Ochoa.

In Puerto Plata you might try Sup. Gomez behind the Palacio de Justica, or Supermercado Silvero Meson. Don't remember seeing them there, but then I wasn't looking and they have that kind of stuff.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
We just looked for a nice "brand name" BBQ in Sosua and Puerto Plata with no luck (found one but it was overpriced at 6500RD for the amenities you received i.e. basic BBQ). You definitely have to go to Santiago. I'm not sure where Stefan got it but he picked up a very nice Thermos Brand BBQ with side burner, double stacking grills and large side table for 9000RD...... comparable to what you would pay in the states.....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I make mine

We do have one, and you can get them at the places recommended and others like Lama, Hache or Bellon...You have to price them out.

I made my first one out of a 55 gallon drum cut in half with four legs added. Put hinges on it, a chimney and voil?--a " barbie"

When the bottom rusted out I redid it in heavy steel and it is now at the beach. Oh yeah, we use mesquite charcoal....flavoured with a bit of
Guava leaves and stems...gas is for wusses...hehehe

HB

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
ecarignan said:
Where can I buy a propane BARBQ as we are used to in North America? I didn't see many BARBQs in housing development, why is that? In North America, it's in EVERY backward.

Both of my nieces in San Francisco de Macor?s have these grills, but I don't recall the brand names. I believe they were purchased in Santo Domingo. As previously stated, LP gas is abundant and relatively cheap.

Matter of fact we enjoyed a great BBQ during my May 2003 visit to the DR which included Beef Kabobs, grilled chicken, and grilled rabbit.

Food was great and Presidente was ice cold. Both were in plentiful supply. Life is good! :)

Swede

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Many of the larger fereterias/hardware stores in a lot of cities and even smaller cities like Samana and Nagua now sell them. I bought mine, a Sunbeam Grillmaster 455 with double racks, in Nagua two years ago. We use it almost every night in our restaurant. And other than the double burner shield rusting out it's been just fine (anyone know where I can get replacement parts-THAT'S the real challenge). Propane is plentiful and cheap. Other than the slight difference in taste, it's not worth it to cook with real charcoal anymore.