Non-DR Corporate purchase of land

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Now from what I have learned, in about 1999 DR legally removed restrictions on forign national from buying land in the DR, previously the maximum amout of land a forign national could own was about 2000 m2 as far as I could remember, and if you wanted to buy more you had to buy the land through a DR style corporation (a corporation as per nepolionic laws where it must be a group of at least 7 people coming together to form a corporation). I guess my question is related to my rantings above. My question is, can a forign corporation buy land in the DR and retain direct title to the land in the name of the corporation? More directly, can a US corporation purchase land in the DR? I guess there is a US tax issue here about how to value that land as a corporate asset, but I think a US tax rep can answer that one.

This site has been a wealth of information, I thank you very mush for all pst help from all members that have answered these kind of questions, and thank you in advance for your help reguarding this question.

-Lee

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Yes, a foreign corporation can buy land directly in the DR. However, you must go through the process of obtaining a tax number (RNC number) for the corporation in the DR, which involves translation into Spanish of the corporate documentation and authentication of the same at a Dominican Consulate abroad and in the DR.