Americans vs Europeans

Chris & Anewta

Jul 20, 2003
Sorry for such subject. Didn't mean anything against both parties.

Just wondering from what part of the world there are more people visiting DR.

Another piece of advice is needed. If we are to take a tour to Santo Domingo from Punta Cana which way is better: to buy a tour at the hotel or rent a car (without consideration of driving qualities of DR) or to take a bus?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Northamericans are the largest group visiting the D.R., Europeans follow-up.

I suggest for your visit to S.D., if this is a first time thing for you, is to take a tour. Your money is better invested, somebody else is doing the driving, map reading, worrying, and parking for you. You can have the luxury to sit back and enjoy the scenery without the added stress of having to manage to get to the Capital on your own. Regards, PJT

Chris & Anewta

Jul 20, 2003
pluses and minuses

So you suggest to depend HEAVILY from tour leader (no exploring on your own)? Sure it could be somewhere dangerous, I agree. But usually such tours remind me chicken mom and chicken babies: don't sit here, don't go there...
Is driving in DR that bad?!! Could it be considered to any European country?

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
My opinion...

Driving in DR is not so bad. Be alert, and don't drive at night if you can help it. I wouldn't go on a tour, is boring (safer? maybe) but you w/ get more out of your vacation if you drive wherever you want to go.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
First Time Take a Tour ...

That's hard for me to say.

I always went anywhere in the world I wanted and just stepped off the plane and found my way around. My ex-wife was the tour group type. She booked us on a tour of S.D. from the north coast when we here we four or five years ago and I actually did enjoy it.

There are so many things that you might pass up, not knowing the significance without someone telling you. Driving in the D.R. takes up all of your senses and you have no time to sight-see. The tour we took (El Tour) left plenty of free time to just wander around the Colonial Zone, too. So I would recommend that, even if you have a car. Then, once you know where you're going, if you want more, repeat the trip on your own!

Either way, have fun!

Tom aka XR

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No reason not to go to Santo Domingo on your own. But, since you indicated you want to tour the city, you might want to consider a tour rather than going on your own only because you don't know the best and most interesting places to see nor how to get to them. Do you speak Spanish? If not, this could present a problem in getting information from the people you meet in your travel through the city.

The alternative is to go on your own to the city by bus, then take taxis from one location to another. If you have a guide to the city, you can show the driver where you want to go and let him get you there. Santo Domingo is a hard city to get around in because of the very large number of cars, one way streets, etc. You will save yourself a lot of stress and time if you travel the city by taxi. Personally, this is the option that I woud favor.

Chris & Anewta

Jul 20, 2003
money question...

2 Ken

We liked that option but money is important matter. Wouldn't it be expensive to roll all over SD in taxi?

Suggesting taxi probably means that all sights to see in SD are far away from each other?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Traveling to city by bus, then taking taxis in the city will be less expensive than renting a car in BC. You can get from one place to another in the city for RD$70-80, which is about US$2.50 per trip. You can start your trip at Colonial Zone, then see it by walking. If you want to go to lighjhouse or acquarium, or some other site, you will need a taxi.

But re cost, this option will be cheaper than a tour or renting a car.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Time is Money

Although someone on their first trip may be best going

the tour/ taxi route I found that after my second trip I

was ready to rent a car. Since I had plans for a short

stay, time was of the essence. Although renting a car is

more expensive I found it important to be pound wise and

not penny foolish. Renting a car gives you so much more

flexability. I also very much enjoyed driving thru Santo

Domingo at night.

Good Luck,

JD

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Not that far ...

Most neat things are in the Colonial Zone. Right across the river is C. COlon's tomb (not our CC, the other old guy). And right nearby is the National Aquarium and a cool little water-park. You'll have to ask someone else where the CCccccCCcc main attraction is! I have never been invited. Even with Alba.

:disappoin

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Time is Money

Renting a car gives you so much more flexability.
JD [/B]

Exactly. But as Ken mentioned, you may miss a few sites here and there, you really need to pay attention when driving in the DR.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Chris & Anewta, when are you visiting the country? I only ask because if you intend to tour S.D. during the PanAm games, Aug. 1-17, there is justified speculation the capital will become one massive traffic headache, not that it isn't already, but especially more. I recommend if you choose to visit during this time you select your method of transportation with that in mind. All of the previous posters have provided you with good advice, we are here to help. Regards, PJT

Chris & Anewta

Jul 20, 2003
We'll arrive in November, 13th and staying for 2 weeks.

Are there any special events going on in SD that we should be aware of?