Kitty Litter

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
I am sooooooo depressed...

My cat is coming to me on Saturday and I HAVE NO KITTY LITTER! HELP!!!!

I do not understand... I was able to buy his food... his litter box... and even litter liners.... but NO kitty litter. I went to the Messon, Tropical and several vets... and no luck. When I ask them... they tell me nobody uses litter here... well I am afraid that my little spoiled US Kitty does not know how to "go outside" and if he does not have a litter box.. he goes in the shower... so will someone please tell me... WHERE I CAN GET SOME KITTY LITTER???

Thank you

~gg

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Pretty scarce commodity in the DR

mkohn said:
Can you get a hold of some sand somewhere?

mk

You could use basmati rice but AZB said it's banned outright. Sand, maybe someone imports it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've seen a few stories in magazines and on TV about people who trained their cat to use the toilet. That would be a good project for you, GG.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
OMG

Are you guys telling me that there is no place to get kitty litter??? In other words... I have to walk to the beach every week, and fill up the litter box with sand??? The only thing that comes to mind is "ghetto fabulous"...

Ken... I will tell you what... you train Ford to go to the bathroom in the toilet... he weighs 20 pounds... he has to stop and lay down every 5 steps... his little belly drags when he walks... I just do not see him hopping up on a toilet...

Depressed,

gg

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Some people still use corn cobs here (fact). So I very much doubt you will find kitty litter.

Give the cat sand and gravel, let it rough it a bit. It's not like it's going to go on hunger strike in protest. Then again, might do him the world of good...

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
litter options

Don't worry you still have options.
1. tare newspaper in strips for kitty. I spent many years working in vet. hospitals, this works

2. clay kitty litter is diatomateous earth, like in swimming pool filters. Yep, my Dad was a mining eng. for it.

3. wood shavings like we use under horse in US. I don't know what we are using in DR, Yet. If you have a friend with a horse, ask.

4. Sand is easy too. Add a scoop of baking soda if you want the fresh smell thing.

Best to fat cat,
Kayla

Ps. I am looking for a budget room on the far west of town, so i can help out at the equestrian games, and asking everyone. Thanks

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Price Mart Santiago or Santo Domingo. (Fresh Step) 28 lbs. containers. My cats love it. "At least that's what they tell me" LOL

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

EDDY IS THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

You hear that hillbilly???? One more stop on Wednesday.... gotta get kitty litter... better email me with directions :)

Yayayayayayayaya

I was so not looking forwards to

1) cleaning up poop everywhere

2) having Ken over to potty train my cat

3) having to scoop sand from the beach and worry about sand fleas

4) having to buy out newspaper all over the city....

so Eddy solved my problems!

Thank you all!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Both Supermercado National,and Pola have Litter!

National has two kinds,Pola one.I have an "Indoor" cat,and 6 "Outdoor" dogs(3 are puppies who will soon be weaned and go to good homes!) Two times a day I throw the cat out into the middle of the yard.The dogs give chase!!!!!!! This scares the "SHIT" out of the cat,thereby,eliminating the need for a "Litter Box"!!!! You might try my method! It also gives lots of exercise to the dogs & the cat!!!!;) CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccccccccccris

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
GirlieGirl said:

I was so not looking forwards to

1) cleaning up poop everywhere

2) having Ken over to potty train my cat

3) having to scoop sand from the beach and worry about sand fleas

4) having to buy out newspaper all over the city....

Not to worry. A cat as big and meaty as yours apparently is will soon be in some Dominican's sancocho put. With the price of protein what it is now, Ford won't be around long.

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Re: Both Supermercado National,and Pola have Litter!

Criss Colon said:
The dogs give chase!!!!!!! This scares the "SHIT" out of the cat,thereby,eliminating the need for a "Litter Box"!!!! You might try my method! It also gives lots of exercise to the dogs & the cat!!!!;) CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccccccccccris

Criss I love it when you go of your meds. LMAO

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Ken said:
Not to worry. A cat as big and meaty as yours apparently is will soon be in some Dominican's sancocho put. With the price of protein what it is now, Ford won't be around long.

KEN... THAT IS NOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT FUNNY! take that back!

:angry:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
you might be surprised with your kitty.... he might enjoy releaving himself outside....that is if you are going to let him out. I had several cats (not all at the same time) and I had a hole in the walls of my house where they came and left as they pleased, so i couldn't tell you what they used. I didn't bother latrine training them, they probably shat in the neighbors land... hee hee hee

glad you have the option to buy the kitty litter though...

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
Okay, if you all don't know I am GG's lil sis! That cat is a family cat, and he is the love of my life!!! And he is not that fat, sis!!!!! He has a bulge, but it's cute!!! He is a west virginia cat and he likes chips and yogurt, what are you supposed to do when he jumps up and meows ... you gotta give him some food :)

As for all the wonderful suggestions as to what we should put in the kitty litter box ... OH NO, that cat is spoiled and will shit all in the bathtub if he is not happy with his litter!

As for going outside!!! Not a chance!!! Someone will steal him or he'll get lost!! It's a scary country!!! Our cat will be fine staying in the house and I don't think we will be cutting holes in out walls anytime soon ;)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I've noticed on a few occasionsthat my cat left me something in the bathtub during the night. Really screws up my morning shower. Then I realized that the maid had left the "pooper scooper" in the litter box. Now it all makes scence. The salcocho theory comes to mind but she is 19 years old, half blind and skinny. When are you moving to the condos with your fat cat? Just joking....

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
I had the same problem.......

fereteria americana, of all places????
I have THREE indoor, buy it at every opportunity you have, whenever, wherever....
good luck

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
YAYAYA

Well... he arrived on Saturday and needless to say it has been never ending turmoil.

He stayed at the hotel with us in Cabarete and... he finally got comfie with the place and started to eat.. when we had to bring him home today.

He is so used to licking the faucets anytime he can in the US and his poor little tummy cannot handle it here. He threw up 8 times tonight and it is just liquid really.

He got a full bill of good health with a travel certificate before he left, so I do not know. He walks around in a daze, meows all the time, wants tobe held every second and if you leave he stays by the door til you return. He is so scared and his tummy hurts so bad it is driving my insane. I feel so bad for him and part of me thinks I should have left him in the US, but the selfish part of me says I cannot give up my baby. He misses his sister who is still in the US. (Only one cat could come at a time per passenger) So she will be coming next month and I just do not know what to do. I so hope he feels better and I feel so helpless. He has bottled water in his water dish. I change it every 2-3 hours so it stays fresh and cold. He would not even drink milk today... I rarely ever give it to him, but normally it settles his tummy and it is such a treat for him, I tried and he would not eve get near it.

On a lighter note, coming home from Cabarete we stopped at a large super mercado on the left hand side of the road on the edge of the city of Sosua and we were lucky enough to find a variety. So we will probably go there from now on.