car rentals in Sosua/Cabarete?

palmas

Jan 7, 2002
Hi everyone.

I checked the archives for information on car rentals in Sosua, but didn't seem to find anything recent. (Unless I missed something)

We are going to our new house,on Aug. 11th, and although the guaguas and the publico are convenient to us, we would like to rent a car for 2 wks. There will be alot of running around preparing for the house and would find it better this time around to rent. Our shopping trip to Santiago will be with a driver and his van, which was recommended to us by someone trustworthy.

Can anyone recommend a reputable place to rent from? Is there an extra cost for insurance?

There will be 6 of us (4 adults and 2 kids) and a car will be just fine. We'll just squish 4 in the back. The Dominicans fit a hell of a lot more in a car than that.

Any suggestions out there based on your experience?

Thanks
Palmas

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would go with a large reputable company like National.

It might cost you a few dollars more, but the piece of mind
you get is worth every cent.

Many posters on this board have rented with National and appear to be very happy. I have yet to hear of a bad story or problems.

http://dr1.com/national/

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I used NATIONAL in POP airport in May. Everything was fine. Best thing to do is reserve the car online ahead of time and print out your confirmation number and bring it with you so there is no room for nonsense. I did that and when I got there they didnt have the car I had reserved so they upgraded me for the same price I had been originally quoted. Have fun :)
Larry

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Try to stay away from the local guys. Some of them might be good but I almost got screwed by one that was trying his best to find a scratch even went under the car. he obviously wanted to make a buck.

I agree with others, rent one online from National, Budget, Alamo. The downside is if your plane arrives at night after they close, you will be stuck taking a cab to the villa and back to the airport the next day. That's why I chose to rent in Sosua, never again.

Annabella, i hope you enjoy your stay and let me know how it went.

ecarignan

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
We normally rent from Universal Rental from Cabarete. They bring the car to you at the airport and always waiting for us at the curb. We have excellent service from them. The cars always have something inside broken, like lighter or cup tray, but no big deal.

This time, we rented online with Budget, since we get FF miles. Got there and they didn't have our car! they took us next door to some local renter. The car was fine. The hassle we had at the airport rentals was the long wait for the car and long wait to return. We got their economy car which was $27/day including taxes.

We'll probably go back to renting from Universal because of the personal service. On the day we leave, they come to our house to get the car and drive us to airport. That is really service.

Eric - i'll email you with status of your house.