Suzuki Dealers and Locksmiths?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I need some help.

The 16 month old here walked off with the last key to our Suzuki Sidekick last night an we can't find it anywhere. In the U.S. I'd just call a locksmith, or go to the dealer with the VIN to get the key code and have them cut me a new one.

Are there any locksmiths in the Sosua, Puerto Plata, Cabarete area that can do this? Is there a Suzuki dealer in Puerto Plata we could go to or contact about getting the key code?

Otherwise I'll be left having to hot-wire it and drive it to Santiago for a new key from a dealer there and I'd rather not go through all that. Any info about a dealer or locksmith would be greatly appreciated before this causes any more arguments here!

:: smile ::

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
XR, if all the locks on the sidekick are key alike any locksmith can cut you a key from the door lock. It is a piece of cake to do. No need to hotwire the Jeep! If you can?t find a locksmith that carries the sidekick blank key in your town, just remove the door panel of the jeep, remove the lock and take the lock to a locksmith in Puerto Plata. Locksmiths there should have blanks for sidekicks and will cut you a key in no time at all. You will only run into problems if a lock was ever changed on the jeep but if you used one key for all locks then you are good to go. Good luck.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hey NL thanks a bundle! I hadn't thought of that! In fact we do use the same key for the door locks as for the ignition.

I am a whiz with computers, good carpenter, plumber, electrician. But anything with motors leaves me with a blank stare, and saliva run out the corner of my mouth. I know my limitations, I just let somebody else handle it!

Now the problem is finding anything resembling a locksmith who can make a key from the lock pattern. Anybody in POP know one we could try?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
There's a place near the port I can't remember the name but It's up just pas cervecentro N&N across the street. It's just a little hut BUT do they have a collection. They even do wall safe keys.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Thanks Everybody

That worked!

Took the door lock out, and Alba and our worker Jose rode it off to Puerto Plata by moto where they got the last available Suzuki blank. Cost about $300, plus gas. Got a little help on the directions from Tina at Froka in Sosua (I'll owe her a bottle of champagne, my standard bribe), and a nice guy mechanic by the name of Greg in Sosua Abajo. Not to mention Eddy for confirming that there was such a place, and NL for the idea.

What a great bunch! Thanks again!