wearing shorts

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Is sounds silly, but I wish it was more acceptable for men to wear shorts at night in the DR. Even during the day, it seems to be frowned upon. What a shame! Since I don't want to be looked upon as a disrespectful gringo, I'll forego my comfort and just be an uncomfortable one. But I wish it were otherwise.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Welcome to Latin America!

All depends when and where you wear them?

Clothes are often a first impression, more so here...

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Danny,

Some people like the fact that in the DR they dress for respect. I enjoy dressing for dinner when in the DR. Shorts have a time and a place. At the beach. Doing sports. Around the house. Part of the joy of dinning out is the ambiance. part of the joy of going to a club is to see people all dresses up to a T. So why ruin it for other people? Go to your fast food joints or beach bars. We won't mind.
One of my pet peeves is when I fly and some tourists sits next to me wearing shorts and sandals. How Low class is that? That is one of the reasons I prefer to fly 1st class. No Shorts. No Jeans.
Frankly if you are uncomfortable wearing pants then you have other issues.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Tony C said:
Frankly if you are uncomfortable wearing pants then you have other issues.

Boy, you just can't answer a thread without twisting the discussion around to sex or cuba, can you? LOL.

Danny, Rob's right. It's just where and when. Follow Tony's advice. For sure if you take a tour to Santo Domingo and expect to see the First Church, Columbus' tomb or other attractions you need long pants, and real shoes to show some respect - or the guards will not let you in. And if you take a girl friend along, no pant suits or shorts! A dress, please!

Tom aka XR

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I don't wear shorts on a plane because of the air temp, but also because it's a little too casual. However, paying an extra grand to sit with people dressed a little better is another story. Guess I just don't have that kinda bread. But seriously, I understand that underdressing for a restaurant or church is disrespectful - but how about just for a stroll, a beer, or a quick snack on a hot night - is that a no? Hey - no big deal, just a question. - D

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
That's absolutely not a problem! Especially in any areas frequented by tourists.

Rule of thumb: It is 100% for sure OK if you can see some fat german guy with lobster red skin at the bar wearing a speedo.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Shorts In First Class!!

That is one of the reasons I prefer to fly 1st class. No Shorts. No Jeans.

Tony, I fly to Las Vegas from N.Y. first class at least twice a year and in the summer I always wear shorts as the temp will be around 110 F when we land! As a matter of fact I will be flying first class to LV next Sat. morning!
John
P.S. FF miles are GREAT!!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
When I was a tourist here I always wore shorts. Now that I live here its pants of shorts. I still wear my worn out jeans but never shorts in the street. Only when going to the playa.
I don't really understand why its not accepted here to wear shorts in the day in the street. Girls wear tops that half their boobs are hanging out and jeans so tight and such hiphuggers that in my opinion shorts and a t shirt show less flesh. But this is the culture here and if you don't want to look like a tourist you gotta do it.
It's strange..in USA when the temp hits 50 you get out the shorts. All summer you wear them (not when you go to a nice resturant in the night). But here where its hot you'd think people would always be wearing them.
Really tho..more and more I have been seeing some Dominicans wearing shorts. Longer and looser, defiantly not like americans shorts, but shorts.
I don't understand it at all. But when here do as the Dominicans do.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good Point Jan......

Generally speaking, Dominicans like to be comfortable in a slightly formal way.
Men wear suits to work, women business suits--just look at the society pages for a take on that.

A stroll down any main street will show that all the men have long pants on, some teens will sport the "gangsta'" look with oversized pants or too long shorts...part of the hip-hop or rap scene....wannabes, mostly. Young girls will wear low-cuts, with butt cracks showing but will constantly be tuggeing them up. Women will =wear dresses or more normal, slightly more formal, clothes. And here, jeans are almost considered formal.

Shorts were associated with homosexuals for years, and are, therefore frowned upon by many less educated folks.

At the beach and in tourist areas-but not monuments like churches or National Pantheons, you can wear your shorts. Hell, the people will know you are a tourist no matter what you wear.
Of course, prostitutes always shorts to call attention to their wears, so that might not be a good thing to wear for the ladies....

HB...... living the life......

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For many expats, long pants have a benefit. Most times on the street, you will see me with long pants and long sleeves. I have developed an allergy to all the sun protectors and despite the precautions I now take I must go to the dermatologist once a year to get things removed that were put there from to much sun during my years in the tropics and the summers at the beach when I was a kid and the craze was to get as tan as you could, even if you had to get burned to a crisp in the process.

The sun here is more intense than most are accustomed to, regardless of whether you live in South Florida or some other location at a more northly latitude.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Shorts In First Class!!

johnsr said:
Tony, I fly to Las Vegas from N.Y. first class at least twice a year and in the summer I always wear shorts as the temp will be around 110 F when we land! As a matter of fact I will be flying first class to LV next Sat. morning!
John
P.S. FF miles are GREAT!!

What airline do you fly to LV? AA will not let you board a 1st class international Flight wearing shorts

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Only wear shorts at the beach

If you don't care what people think or don't mind standing out like a sore thumb, wear shorts. As mentioned by others, nice restaurants, clubs, churches, and historical areas of interest will not let you in. In tourist areas, about anything goes except for what I have previously mentioned but if you feel more comfortable wearing shorts, wear longer/blue jean/casual shorts not the cheesy bermuda type. I personally like to fit in as much as possible and always wear long pants, blue jeans during the day or docker type of pants with short-sleeved collared, button-up shirts that are kind of dressy. I only wear t-shirts, sandals, and shorts at the beach. Even in Boca Chica where 90% of tourists are allowed almost everywhere including the discos there wearing shorts, I dress like I would going out to a club in the US. I never wear tennis shoes, always leather shoes similar to dockers that are not too dressy but my day attire will let me enter almost any place in Santo Domingo. When I go sightseeing during the day, you might want to go out dancing, etc and it is a hassle to have to go back to the hotel and change. Plus if you want to hit on a nice girl she won't be embarrassed being seen with a tourist looking like a fool, I'm saying this not knowing if you are single or not.

I have never seen a person in 1st class wearing shorts but who knows. I have never flown 1st class but do notice about 1/2 of non dominicans flying into the DR, in coach class, wear the cheesy tourist garb.
dale7(Howard)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I fly USAIR first class,using "Buddy Passes" from my "BEST FRIEND"!

No jeans,or shorts allowed! I once showed up in a brand new pair of jeans(by Mistake) and was "called" on it by a supervisor!
I have "beautiful Legs",but only wore shorts one day in Sosua,and I felt "wierd" doing so!
I had a Dominican Boss,who absolutely NEVER took off his suit jacket,even in the office,or in the boiling sun!I followed his lead!!!!We have a "Viernes Social"(Casual Friday) here,but very very few dress down!!"Shorts" to work,or on the street,NEVER!!!
Cris Colon

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
XanaduRanch said:
That's absolutely not a problem! Especially in any areas frequented by tourists.

Rule of thumb: It is 100% for sure OK if you can see some fat german guy with lobster red skin at the bar wearing a speedo.
I resemble that remark and OBJECT to you taking a pot shot at me!

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
What airline do you fly to LV? AA will not let you board a 1st class international Flight wearing shorts

We always fly AWA America West to L.V. most non-stops from JFK and fly A.A. to the DR where I have seen passangers in business class with shorts!!!!!
If you can afford the ticket you can wear anything your heart desires. (just my opion)
John

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
When I was in DR, shorts were only acceptable at the beach, pools, and for any kind of exercise......even then, the people would wear sweats. I used to see it all the time when I worked in Antena Latina, Body Shop is right behind the TV station and people wouldn't come out of the pants until they started working out.......

Tony C, I don't know about the whole "no jeans in 1st class" thing. I've seen some of the richest people in DR, taking 1st class on AA and wearing jeans. It surprised me the first few times but after 7 flights, I kinda got used to it. Those are the folks that go into the room for all the diplomats and get everything taken care of, then they just leave the airport with their Mercedes waiting outside.......I don't care though, last time I went to DR it was a private jet flight, comfortable as hell and no waiting at Customs :cheeky: :classic: and damn those Citations fly fast:eek:

CC, we don't wanna see your legs, this isn't a beauty pageant :p ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My husband wears shorts much more often than most Dominicans, and then gets irate when he is mistaken for a gringo!

"Change dollars!" "Taxi!" "Haitian paintings?"

Chiri

jorge_33

May 27, 2003
My friend, with the economic crisis in AA and other airlines, everything is possible. I flew 1st Class Miami - P. Rico w/shorts, no problem.

When visiting the DR I noticed that not many people accustomed to wear shorts in the streets as I've seen in Miami, but as I read before, everything has its time and place. I personally had a bad experience when I visited Argentina last year and I was not allowed to enter a Bank because I was wearing shorts + they didn't care if I was a tourist or not :( it was matter of " Buenos modales and respect". Since that day, when visiting any other country I ask my friends if is OK, if not I'll wear my long pants.

Regards,

Jorge

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
i have been fortunate to travel the Caribbean and Mexico with my 2 young sons. they learned quickly that no matter where we were staying after 5 pm it was no longer shorts but long pants. dinner may also include wearing a tie depending on the restaurant.

none of this bothers them, they love the attention it brings. we noticed that we were almost always seated at better tables and received better service than other tourists.

mob