Building near the beach

Portofino

Jun 29, 2003
I have been looking online at lots close to the beach (300m); are there complcations to do this more so than away from the ocean (legal & construction)

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
beach building

No there is no diference because your number is wrong.
The legal number is 60 meters.
And even that number is debatable.
THis 60 meter is controlled by the marines.

When I was building my garage they came twice measuring.
The first time they came with low tide the garage was outside this limit
So I was fine and they left.
Then they came back during high tide and the 60 meter mark was
smack in the middle of my garage.
Then you get two options you pay them of and they leave
or you have to pull down the building in question.
The strange part is they will haggle with you even though
you have no choice and if you don?t pay they come with a crew
with sledgehammers.
All this is even stranger as my entire house is within the 60 meters and the garage is behind the house.

If in your case you do talk about 300 meters then I would go even further away. Because then you are already not on the beach still pay some beach premium. You still get some of the disadvantages of beach living corrosion and stuff but none of the advantages.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Portofino, your post isn't clear. Are you saying that the lots are 300 meters from the beach? If there is that much difference between the lot and the high water line, you will have no trouble.

What Paul is talking about is the law making everything within 60 meters from high water line public property. You can't build on this property unless you have special permission of the government, which normally is only granted to things like tourist projects.

BTW, Paul mentioned paying the Port Comandante to ignore that his garage was too close. Problem with that is that once you start paying, you can never stop. All future comandante can inspect the property, discover that the garage is too close, and order it torn down. Who knows how much each future comandante will need to be paid.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Construction code

Also, is there a code that restricts the form of construction on private property adjacent to the 60 meter public beach domain? I have heard the construction has to be of wood frame, not concrete block. Then, beyond another set measure from the high water mark, concrete block construction is acceptable. Regards, PJT

Portofino

Jun 29, 2003
The high water mark...

What happens if when you build it and it conforms; and through beach erosion, later it doesn't?

Are there differnt codes to build closer to the beach than a hillside lot with a view?

If any of you have built in one or both locations, which would you do a second time around?