Santo Domingo Car Rental...

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I am deciding which company to go with at the airport. Hertz or Budget. Both say they are at the airport, which is closer? Anyone have any bad experiences with either?
I usually rent with Avis, which I know is right on the airport grounds, but have not rented from either of these companies in DR.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Checked National, way too expensive for the period I'm travelling.

Anyone ever go through Payless?

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
I got a crappy car from Avis when I flew into Santiago but it was very cheap.

FYI - I am not a jew but my family calls me Shwartzy.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
NY1 said:

Anyone ever go through Payless?

Did you send them a reservation to get a price via the link I posted?

People tell me their pricing is very competitive.

FYI: Alamo is also here and is handled by National.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
No, I checked through their general website for rates. Is there much difference?

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
The reason is I'm getting Payless for about $100 less than any other car rental company. I used Payless once in Orlando and wasn't crazy about the car or the service.
That's why I'm asking if anyone has used them, otherwise I'll spend the extra $100 on the other comapnies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
NY1 said:
The reason is I'm getting Payless for about $100 less than any other car rental company. I used Payless once in Orlando and wasn't crazy about the car or the service.
That's why I'm asking if anyone has used them, otherwise I'll spend the extra $100 on the other comapnies.

I have no experience with Payless, but what makes you think their service is any better here?

All depends on how long your planning to rent. If your saving US$100 over a week, I think I would rather go with a company I know will support me and has a reputation for great service.

Life is full of choices :)

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
NY1 said:

"Expensive" is a relative term. I'm willing to pay a bit more if necessary to avoid aggravation. I've used National at Las Americas the past 2 trips and have had very good results. Cars are in good condition, nice folks, no surprises.

They quoted a price of $289 for 8 days (May 2003) for a Nissan Sentra X15. The car was just perfect for my 1,325 Km road trip. Upon my return, they even dropped me off at my hotel in Boca Chica free of charge; saving me a $350 peso taxi fare. :)

When I received my Visa bill at home, I was charged only $279 due to the rapid devaluation of the peso! :)

Swede