Traveler's "Stomach"

leopardlady

Apr 30, 2003
Just this month already 3 people have told me stories of getting sick while they were in Punta Cana. Another person told me her boss got E Coli at this resort (which was a 5 star resort).

I know it's common for people to get sick while vacationing in Mexico, but this is the first I am hearing so much of it happening in Punta Cana.

So, in preparing for a trip, armed with Pepto-Bismol, Immodium, and some Cipro as an antibiotic, what else can I do to avoid traveler's stomach ? (besides not drinking the water).

Aren't fruits and vegetables rinsed in water at resorts?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
My first time in this country was in Punta Cana at an all inclusive there. Me and 3 friends. One of my friends got really sick and yet we all ate the same foods and drank the same drinks. She went to the doctor there and he gave her a shot and some medicina and the next day she was feeling much better and the day after all was good. I did have a funny stomache...not sick but not right...the whole time I was there. But then there has been a few times I've eaten things since I've lived here and got sick too, and both times it was in expensive resturants.
So just go for it! Take a chance. I don't think you'll die unless your in poor health already. Just think of it as a good cleaning out. The doctors in the resorts are prepared to handle it if your sick.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Buffet food is pretty high risk in any establishment. But I think the real reason for tummy trouble in AI's is that so many overindulge in the unlimited food and drink, combined with the unfamiliar climate.

Chiri

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I think Chiri nailed it!

What most people don't realize is that the average North American diet contains less than 15 grams of fiber and not much Vitamin C.
Get to an AI where you are eating a lot of high fibre fruit and veggies and you're asking for "the trot's" due to the increased fibre. Throw in a lot of fruit juice based drinks and the increased Vitamin C will also give you the runs along with the upset stomach that accompanies it.
Too much fibre, too much Vitamin C and too much fluid will do it every time.
I recommend people who are coming to start taking a 500 mg. Vitamin C tablet daily at least two weeks before arrival as well as increasing their consumption of fruit and veggies. Then when they arrive I tell them to watch their fluid consumption (with the eception of bottled water) and make sure they have a glass of red wine with lunch and dinner.
This helps get their system "accostumed" to the change in diet and the red wine has been scientifically proven to kill any "mild" E-coli or "bad" bugs that may be present.
Works for most everyone!
Hope this helps!!

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
That must have been some shot to cure upset stomach.

Dominican "doctors" are shot and pill crazy. They will certainly give them to anyone who will submit - no chance of them simply advising to take it easy for a couple of days.

The Dominican people love it too. I once saw a hypochodriac (there's lots of them) proudly showing her neighbors the 8 (yes, eight) kinds of pills that her doctor had given her.

I've also had Dominicans ask me for pills - any pills - they seem to think that they are magic.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Thsi si true here...when you even get a little cold everyone tells me to go to the clinic. Take a flu pill. Take antibiotics...and I don't like to take meds when its not necessary.
Really tho..whatever that doc gave my friend made her better fast. I have no idea what it was but her husband was calling him a voodoo doctor! jejeje

leopardlady

Apr 30, 2003
This is all good

information & I am soaking it up. I never heard of the red wine thing as a prevention - sounds pretty good.

I already eat a lot of high fiber cereals and fruit every morning to begin with, but I doubt the resort carries Lactaid Fat Free, lactose free milk though. Will settle for eating mangu for breakfast instead of cereal and gain 10 pounds.... :)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I couldn't speak for many of the resorts, it's been years since I stayed in one, but lactose free & fat free milk is really common in the even the smallest Colmados here in Sosua. No problem picking up a carton of liquid, or a packet of it in powder form at the supermarkets here in Sosua. Most of the resorts have little mini fridges in the room, so if the resort doesn't have it (they probably do or will get it for you) you can easily grab some of your own and put it in the room fridge.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Jan said:
Thsi si true here...when you even get a little cold everyone tells me to go to the clinic. Take a flu pill. Take antibiotics...and I don't like to take meds when its not necessary.
Really tho..whatever that doc gave my friend made her better fast. I have no idea what it was but her husband was calling him a voodoo doctor! jejeje
Jan,
It was probably Immodium in its injectible form. I was given that the only time I ever became violently ill from consuming local food/water -- in Brussels, Belgium, believe it or not! I generally have cast-iron stomach & intestines, which have successfully tolerated local water and food in much of Latin America (yes, including Mexico), usually with little more than some queasiness. I must confess, though, that I did get cramps this trip will staying in an AI in PP. Immodium in tablet form took care of that quickly.
BTW, folks, a good doc will tell you NOT to take Immodium if you just have diarrhoea -- stick to old fashioned Pepto Bismol for that. Cramping is another matter.

LL, don't take Cipro unless prescribed by a doctor, please. This antibiotic is already over-prescribed, and is too good for us to be used where it really is not a first-line treatment. Careful of some other antibiotics too -- some will actually kill the beneficial bacteria in your disgestive tract and make things much worse (let's just say that **nothing** will stay in you long!). If that occurs, stop taking the antibiotic and find some yoghurt with active culture in it.

MommC & Chiri both make excellent points. Many North American systems are just not accustomed to the high fiber intake. And buffet food left out very long (just like street cooked food in pots or bins) is notorious for accumulating bacteria that will do a number on your diagestive system.

WHO produces a pretty good downloadable leaflet with tips for travelers on food safety (link below).

Best Regards,
Keith R, wearing his stethoscope ;)

WHO leaflet

Last edited:

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Peppermint Tea

Pack some peppermint tea bags. Let the bags seep for at least 5 minutes or even longer. Peppermint helps to soothe the stomach, eases bloating and gas pain.

Maryanne

leopardlady

Apr 30, 2003
Thanks again folks

Since I already have some pre-existing medical conditions, I just want to make sure nothing spoils my fun there.

I stopped drinking alcohol a while ago, but I might try the red wine trick. I recall being in Cancun on vacation one time, where I was so weak, feverish and sick I could barely walk. I lost 7 pounds on that vacation, yet my husband was perfectly fine. Heck of a way to lose weight.

Since I have already been to the DR (but a different part) & did not get sick, I am not that concerned but nevertheless want to take precautions.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: Peppermint Tea

maryanne said:
Pack some peppermint tea bags. Let the bags seep for at least 5 minutes or even longer. Peppermint helps to soothe the stomach, eases bloating and gas pain.

Maryanne
A good suggestion! My wife packed some for our recent trip to the DR (plus my trusty mug and inversion heater), and when I had some queasiness after eating locally cooked food in Punta Rucia, she brewed the tea for me and it really did help quiet things down rather quickly.
Best Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Spearmint or ginger tea would also work.

You can also carry Peppermint Oil, mix it with some other carrier oil and rub directly on your stomach. This will work too.

Maryanne

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
pepermint tea

Trivia;
peppermint is classed as a gut anesthetic
while spearmint is a analgesic
Misc. useless trivia from a Medical Technologist turned hippy,
-k
Still looking for a budget $10-40 room NW of STDGO
so I can come play in paradice

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Gippy Tummy

LL,
Don't sweat it - if you get the gippy tummy, stop eating, take a mouthfull of yoghurt every time you get a rumble(?), drink lots of water too. When you're hungry again try building from a piece of toast to scrambled egg and then ...........
The yoghurt really works! We always advise our visitors to start taking daily yoghurt, plain unsweetened, for at least 7 days prior to travel - seems to start the good bugs working early which then fight off the bad bugs if you are unfortunate enough to pick them up.
P&A

palmas

Jan 7, 2002
re: yogurt

Peter and Alex are right!

We've learned through all of our travels in the islands and Mexico that yogurt has a natural ingredient that fights off a lot of the bad bacteria in our intestinal walls. I forget the name of this good bacteria found in yogurts. There are also pills you can buy in most stores that will help but not as effectively as the yougurt itself.

The other thing is to take everything in moderation. Limit your alcohol and overeating for the first few days until your system adjusts.

Pepto Bismol in chewable tablet form also helps if necessary. It coats the stomach lining and the intestinal walls to help avoid any type of upset to your system.

Good luck,
Palmas