Hi - I'm new (& have questions)

Judi

Jul 28, 2003
and glad I found this board! We are taking our first trip to the DR this Wed. and I have a couple of questions.

We are staying at the Melia Caribe Tropical in Punta Cana, and was wondering what kind of touristy sight-seeing things we should see/do/avoid, etc.

Also, should we exchange our US $ for pesos when we get there or can we deal in US $ for everything. We are on an all inclusive plan so I guess I'd just need cash for buying souveniers, etc.

Third - we will be traveling with our children (6 year old twin boys) who are developmentally disabled (down syndrome). How welcoming are the locals in dealing with children with this type of disability?

I appreciate any and all suggestions/input!

Looking forward to my visit there!

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
See http://dr1.com/travel/puntacana/

Dominicans are friendly and will be kind to your twins. The DR team does well in the Olympic Games for special needs, so our contenders with down syndrome have gotten their share of good exposure.

Cash your dollars as you need. The better rates are to be had in the exchange houses. You may consider bringing travel checks, to not travel with much cash, but you will need your passport.

For many items you may pay in dollars, for others you will be better off paying in pesos.

Read through the helpful information in the travel section of this site.

Judi

Jul 28, 2003
Thank you

for your quick reply and helpful information.

I'm mainly concerned about the boys because I want them to be able to participate in the activities at the Kids club the hotel offers. We take them everywhere we go and it's a pain when people tell us "we don't take *those* kids here" (mostly in the US). They are pretty smart and love all kinds of activity. Their biggest "hurdle" is the fact that they are virtually non-verbal, and mostly communicate in sign language (ASL). Not sure how that will "translate" into spanish!

Thanks again!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I think you will find it difficult to be accomodated anywhere in the world let alone the Dominican Republic. You already knew that though, right?

Multiple handicapped kids have a tough time most if not every place in the world. Even the ADA wouldnt be a help in the situations at Hotels in the US when it comes to activities.

Judi said:
and glad I found this board! We are taking our first trip to the DR this Wed. and I have a couple of questions.

We are staying at the Melia Caribe Tropical in Punta Cana, and was wondering what kind of touristy sight-seeing things we should see/do/avoid, etc.

Also, should we exchange our US $ for pesos when we get there or can we deal in US $ for everything. We are on an all inclusive plan so I guess I'd just need cash for buying souveniers, etc.

Welcome aboard.

Punta Cana is a relaxation mecca not a real touristy area )nightclubs etc.) or town close by, try the Outback safari or Bavaro runners to see the real DR, your kids will ove it and the Dominicans will make them feel welcomed.
Use the US$ forget the peso, most merchants will accept the $ and try and give you back the peso, insit on US change, otherwise use as small a denomination in US as possible so you arent stuck with a load of peso's.

Enjoy Punta Cana