Are you going native?

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I would like to put this in poll form, but am not quite sure how. So, I will post the questions, and you can post your answers/explanations. I must confess this was poached from another message board for ESL teachers.

Are you going native?

1. A little.
2. A lot.
3. Help!
4. Not a chance, governor.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Yes.

The poll is for people who are not Dominican, yet living in the DR, to reflect on what degree they have adapted to and adopted local customs and culture.

Or, for Dominicans who now live in the US, the UK, or anyplace else...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The fact that you fit yourself into the life of the community in the DR is not my idea of "going native", any more than it would be for the person moving to Maine from another state or country.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Mainegirl,

You have to be more specific.
What do you mean by going native?

Speech? Food? Culture? Lifestyle? Even these have differences in the the DR. Depends on your social circle.
Do I eat Mangu, drink Brugal and dance merengue all night long? No way!

Do I go to art galleries, play golf at "el Country", and drink vodka martinis at clubs in NACO? Yep!

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
The point of this is to to reflect on whether or not you have adopted your host country's culture and to what degree.

It's a poll.

Ken, sounds like you are "not a chance."

Tony, sounds like you are "a lot."

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Supposed to be fun and enlightening!

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I did adopt many aspects of the culture because it's more practical, however, one is still a european, no matter what.
A European can eat mangu with cheese, wear these "plastics dominican sandals" at home, speak "fluent cibae?o", drive a "setenta", and still enjoy his own cultural roots, because the more you live here, the more you understand you can't leave behind you your original culture...
-How about reading a good book while "laziing" in your hamac under a "techo de cana", listening to some latin jazz ?
Mixing cultures works up o a certain point...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
MaineGirl said:
The point of this is to to reflect on whether or not you have adopted your host country's culture and to what degree.

Ken, sounds like you are "not a chance."

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I fit in and feel at home here. But I don't consider that "going native". To me, the person who goes native is found under a palm tree on the beach spending his days drinking Presidente and rum.

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ken ...

Ken said:
To me, the person who goes native is found under a palm tree on the beach spending his days drinking Presidente and rum.

You forgot to mention his three firends and the Domino table set up between them!

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Ken,

Here are some questions to help you think about it. Sounds like your idea of a "native" is very unappealling to you. So think of it this way:

Do you or your wife fix Dominican food at home? Or do you fix things that may be considered "American."

Do you like to listen to Dominican music? Do you dance?

Do you dress as a Dominican of your age and stature?

Do you follow "Latin time"? Do you show up at 8 if the invitation says 8?

Do you take a siesta?

Is there anything in your routine that you probably would not do if living in the States? What? Why?

You say you "fit in" in the DR....what have you done to "fit in".

Or are you a bastion of American culture amidst beer-swilling, Brugal chugging "natives".

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Have no trouble with "native". But I do have a different understanding than you do of the expression "going native."

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I'd say I have gone fairly native, so much so that I have been adopted into several family's and am called sister. I mourned the loss of my mother-in-law just like they did. We cook a lot of Dominican food in my house, I spoke Spanish upon arrival to the DR now I speak Dominican slang and have ruined my proper Spanish for the most part.

We only listen to Bachata, Merengue and we are getting into Salsa. I often lose the battle of listening to NPR to listening to Mochi y Alexandra again and again....

But...since we now live in the U.S. I am trying to bring a little more of American culture into our lives so that my husband can begin to feel more at home here.

We both get homesick often for 100 degree heat and humidity and a good game of dominoes under a tree while sipping warm rum and bring presidente. Or going to a pelea de gallo and screaming and betting aross the ring with friends, family, and neighbors.

Even when I lived in the DR I didn't really socialize with other Americans or foreigner, I hardley left my village or the nearby town.

Yeah, I'd say I've become native.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
social and cultural confusion

Cannot answer the question - too much cultural confusion in our house. Grew up in Africa from Dutch and French parents, had a long sojurn in the U.S.A. Worked in Africa, Germany, England, the USA and a few Caribbean Islands. Married to an American Swede, family scattered from New Zealand to England, lived on one Caribbean Island before and now living in the DR.

Can cook up a perfect Thanksgiving meal, a perfect Swedish Smorgasbord and a damn good dominican style meal, which is not so different from what we used to eat in Zimbabwe and South Africa. Yes, I play dominoes under the tree when there is time and opportunity. I don't play if there is no Presidente or Brugal.

Like Ken said 'going native' has a whole different connotation in my head. Are we integrated in our new community? I think so - as much as I can be with my still very limited Spanish.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
There are somethings you adapt to and somethings you change when you move to DR. But hteres other things that I can't change
I have gotten used to no hot water and carrying water from the streets when there hasn't been any in the house for days.
I have gotten used to the food and can cook a little dominiican style stuff. But still like what I have always eaten.
I can drink presidente and dance merengue, bachata and salsa yet I still like to listen to my native american and other music.
I have learned to walk slower in the streets but I still take long strides.
One thing that I don't think I'll ever adjust to is the time thing..I accept it buit I will always be on time and its hard for me when others arn't.
Its adaptation. But you can't change what you are. And why would you want to change? Just add another culture to your life style and be mulit cultural....thats the best way to be.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Yes I went native. When I came here many years ago I had the chance to meet e few Dominican families, so I can definitely say my lifestyle is not much different from theirs.
I have like them four domestics, 24 hour security, 24 hour power.
Satellite TV, flash internet connection. I have three cell phones.
My monthly bar bill is higher then the average monthly income here.
Like them I eat in the best restaurants.
Like the head of those households I have three girlfriends.
I take several holidays a year to Miami.

Where I failed being native
They are way better dressed then I am and all of them drive a Mercedes and have a Landcruiser and BMW in the garage.

I tried to adabt to the native lifestyle.

At least if you mean by native Dominican ??

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken said:
I fit in and feel at home here. But I don't consider that "going native". To me, the person who goes native is found under a palm tree on the beach spending his days drinking Presidente and rum.

Sounds real good to me. I think I like this 'going native' thing.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
And I was happy here too!

I think that El Senor Tate moves in different circles than some of the rest of us. Back to work. I need more money for the bar bill, the Mercedes, Land Rover, and Beemer.

:: sigh ::

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I don't know of Paul's 'going native' appeals so much - just think, under the palm tree on the beach, you can just slowly keel over once the Brugal works its magic. With the important crowd, you have to keep some composure!