Travel around the island

boton

Jul 29, 2003
I'm trying to figure out the cheapest and safest way to get from San ta Domingo Int'l Airport to the Coconut Palms Resort in Sousa. Any help would be greatly appreciated, oh and if you could give me the cost in US$ I would appreciate it. I've been quoted $120 taxi for 2 adults one way, is that reasonable?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Airport to Caribe Tours RD$400 (US$12)
Caribe Tours Bus to Sosua RD$145 (US$4)

Caribe Tours buses are very nice, air con, TV, reclining seats etc. The run on the hour every hour.

http://caribetours.com.do/

A Taxi would be around RD$3,500 (US$100)

Airport to Caribe Tours = 30-45 mins
Santo Domingo to Sosua = 3.5-4hrs depending on city traffic.

Take your pick...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Boton,

First off, why in the world are you flying into SDQ if you want to go to a resort in Sosua, where POP is literally next door???? SDQ is 3 1/2 hrs away from Sosua, POP 10 mins.

Second, why a taxi all the way? Take a taxi from SDQ to Santo Domingo for around RD600 (about US$20) to the Caribe Tours bus station. Then take one of the frequent, very comfortable CaribeTours buses for around RD150-200 (roughly US$5-6) per person. It may take an hour or so longer than a direct taxi ride, but your tab of US$30 will be far lower. And frankly, those buses are far, far more comfortable than any taxi I've ridden in the DR!

Regards,
Keith

Edited to Add: Just saw Rob beat me to the punch. But I think his taxi to bus station figure is too low -- he might be able to get that price, but most new arrivals won't. I bargained down to RD500 from the original RD600 quote, but was unable to get it down any further (perhaps because it was a van, a family of four and we had much luggage).

Last edited:

boton

Jul 29, 2003
Hey thanks guys. I think I'll take your advice. Oh, and thanks for the website info.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think Robert's bus plan is the one for you. Though figure at least 4 hours. Only once did I make the trip in less than that and it was on a Sunday when there was almost no traffic.

You will make a pit stop in Santiago, giving you time use the bathroom and/or get something to eat and drink.

Caribe Tour has a bus departing for Sosua every hour from early in the morning until early evening. When you get to Sosua, the bus will stop in front of a taxi stand. Take a taxi from there to the hotel.

Going back to Santo Domingo, reverse the process. A bus departs from Sosua at 20 minutes past each hour from early morning until early evening.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You have to add in the cost of the taxi from the Caribe Tours bus station to Coconut Palms. Probably another RD$500. So, the entire trip can be done with a mix of taxis + bus for about US$35 vs. the US$100 taxi straight from the airport. Considering you are talking about a more than 250 km. trip, not so bad at all.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Sorry guys, he's all mine ...

Hey! What's all this! Robert! I already agreed to go pick him up at Las Americas for $120. And you guys go and spoil the fun! Dang. Another one gets away. I am trying to go "native". :: wink ::

Actually, I PM'd the same info. Everybody has said the same thing, in fact. You always get ripped off at the airport so the airport to Caribe Tours part probably will cost the most. As far as the end of the trip Dolores, I remember Coconut Palms having at least one van. They always used it to pick up and return Time-Share prospects in Sosua from the sales pitch. If they still have it I would bet he can get them to come pick him up in Sosua at Caribe Tours.

Either way though it's a much less expensive, and far more comfortable trip from Santo Domingo.

Tom (aka XR)

Edited to add: Your loss DR1'ers! Here I was going to put that money aside to get Rob and CC and AZB very special Sosua massages after the next DR1 reunion. Now you're all on your own! I can only afford it for me!

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think $500 for taxi to Coconut Palms is too high. Maybe $300. I say this because the drivers have doubled their prices (in town now 100 instead of 50, for example) and the old price from Sosua to Cabarete was RD$120. Of course, the price will be partially influenced by how you respond to his quote.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Also, if you get stranded in Santiago, not much of a problem. There is a very nice hotel value-wise near (walking distance if you don't have baggage) the Caribe Tours terminal. It is the Rotunda, named after the area. There are other bus terminals as well.

The hotel is air-conditioned but probably costs less than 500 pesos. There are zillions of pica pollo restaurants within stumbling distance, a giant flea market across the street, a Tricom call center and MacDonald's a couple blocks away, and even a car wash a little farther.

What else does the traveller need?

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
Planning to do someting similar

I think I'm getting the idea. Check me on this....

Taxi - SDQ to caribe tours bus station, STDGO.
Bargan and try for RD$500 or even $400

Bus -- Buy a ticket for pionts north. RD $145-200 Get on the bus, but get off part way. [at the turn off I need] Still a bargan.

Guagua --- Wave at every passing vehicle, for the last 5 km,
I don't know what that should cost but i will ask anyone who comes by.

Did I plan it right?
Thanks from an eager newbie,
k

edit to add - new plan:
Taxi -- SDQ 2 Kilometer Nueve -- RD$400-500
Minibus -- as far as it goes on my route -- RD$50....
? -- to equestrian center, check in, leave lugage....
Next, go looking for a hotel or room or?

Plans r getting beter...Thanks -k

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Negativo on Caribe Tours, Kay

It only stops at the major stations.

To get off in the boonies, you have to take a local (mini) bus. The minimum fare should be less than 50 pesos.

Usually (always, I suppose) the local buses can be recognized by the daredevil hanging out the doorway soliciting passengers.

Probably the best place to find such a bus headed north on Duarte Highway is at a place called Kilometer Nueve. All the taxi drivers know where it is. It should cost no more to get there from the airport than to any other destination in Santo Domingo.

Later, to catch the bus back into town, stand by the road until one stops for you.

Yes, pretty good Kay.

Kilometer Nueve is a point through which all the major buses headed north on Duarte Highway pass. It serves as an informal terminal for many of them, and has refreshments, even a moneychanger I think, but not a good place to sit and wait.

The major bus lines - Caribe Tours, Metro, and Terrabus will probably not let passengers on or off there - I'm not sure, so better not take a chance. Almost all the others will, though.

When returning to La Capital, it's as good a place as any to get off, unless the local (mini) bus driver knows where you're going. The zillions of taxis waiting there are mostly legitimate - unlike those at the airport and tourist areas, they'll bargain down to a reasonable price.

BTW, this board seems to refer to guaguas as mini (local) buses, but in my experience Dominicans call any bus a guagua.

Last edited: