Are You Ready for Some Football?!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
OK. Maybe a bit too early for this, but training camps are open, and if so I will post later and annoy Robert and the rest of the Brits, and all the misguided Limey sympathizers like Chris, by reminding them that what they call football is really soccer and is in fact a sissy game.

I always pictured my retirement with me here under a palm tree strung with Christmas lights, sitting beside the pool with the ocean in the distance watching NFL games on a Sunday afternoon.

Who's with me? Who's up for some Sunday football get togethers with NFL Sunday Ticket here at Xanadu this fall? I'll even accept Packer fans, but you'll have to sit on the other side of the swimming pool from the rest of us normal folks. Shirts required, sorry no green and yellow paint even if it isn't 20 below zero, and no foam cheeseheads either. If you can't get along without those items spend your Sunday's at Eddy's - he can direct you to the pshycotropic drugs! I am a Vikings fan.

P.S.
I even have five big jars of real Wal-Mart chili powder just waiting for a Sunday afternoon football buffet ... !

Tom (aka Xanadu Ranch)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Considering the suffering you will endure

I just might make the trip one or two Sundays, but just do not oblige us to watch the Viqueens....

sounds like an interesting deal you got going, perhaps we can re-locate to a few other places and really enjoy this technology...

Do you like listening to football? Like on AFRTS?? We can that at the beach...

And I'll bet Debebe is up for a weekend of NFL....
\
And local TV is broadcasting a lot of football this year...

HB

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
That's OK. I am not a fair weather fan. I've been there for 30+ years. I enjoy the game, and bleed purple whatever the consequences.

I didn't have the DSS the first year here so I had to listen off the 'net. Which only worked half the time here, so I missed a lot. Last year the DSS system wasn't reliable until the end of the year so again I missed a lot. Now it's all in place and I am really looking forward to it, even if Alba doesn't understand any of it!

As to local TV, HB, even up here on top of the world I am so far out in the sticks I have no local TV reception. Wouldn't mind listening to a game on the beach someday if I could find one. But I'd rather bring a long a mini-dish and watch! Hope you can make it some time this year and don't get scared off by the road on the way to our little paradise!

http://thomaschurchill.tripod.com

... for some pictures of the road that's been paid for 5x and never completed ... (sound familiar?)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Xanadu

After reading what you wrote in the "who cheats" thread and now this I am starting to think we need more guys like you on here buddy. I watched the Jets lose to Oakland each of the last 2 years in Eddys so I wont go anywhere near Eddys on Sundays in Janurary anymore (Sorry Eddy). I am a big big Jet fan! Chad Pennington is going to really come into his own this year man. I'll be down on the north coast at some point this winter, maybe I'll catch a game over your ranch.

Larry (Jets are goin to the bowl baby!)

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Larry (Jets are goin to the bowl baby!)

Larry, In which room of the house would this "bowl" be located???
John (who,by the way, bleeds BLUE)
America's Team GIANTS!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
XanaduRanch said:
....and all the misguided Limey sympathizers like Chris....

I am not a misguided sympathizer - These Brits are colonialist opressors ;) But they did teach us the three best games in the world there in little South Africa where they were oppressing us...

Rugby, Soccer and Cricket!

But I'll come for the chili and the wine! Who are the Vikings again Tom? :cool:

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Nice house Tom,

I've got my Falcon season tickets in hand. A week from Saturday
I'll watch my boys practice on Green Bay getting ready to play the viqueens (good one, HB) Oct. 5. Salud!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Xanadu

Larry (ILoveDR) said:
After reading what you wrote in the "who cheats" thread and now this I am starting to think we need more guys like you on here buddy. I'll be down on the north coast at some point this winter, maybe I'll catch a game over your ranch.

Just find that Haitian girl you mentioned in the other thread, or the one from Jarabacoa with a fixation. Nothin' better than a steak and a BJ except maybe NFL football and a BJ. Now there's something you won't get back home in the states! LOL. That's what I call a football party!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Re: Are You Ready for Some Football?!

Chris said:
I am not a misguided sympathizer - These Brits are colonialist opressors ;) But they did teach us the three best games in the world there in little South Africa where they were oppressing us...
Rugby, Soccer and Cricket! But I'll come for the chili and the wine!

Rugby, Soccer, and Cricket? Chris, they weren't oppressing you they were brainwashing you!

But you know you two are always welcome for wine and whatever. Just learn to hold your discussion points for during the commercials on Sundays, OK?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: Re: Re: Are You Ready for Some Football?!

XanaduRanch said:
Just learn to hold your discussion points for during the commercials on Sundays, OK?

Yea, I bet you're one of those that talk right through the game;)

But these football games go on so long that it is hard not to talk. I think I know why they go on so long -- It is to give the poor overweight underbrained players a change to catch their breath!

Just messin' with you!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
NFL'ers Do Think

I know you're just poking. But I do like football because it is complex and requires quite a bit of intellect. Here's a bit from an article in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune today, heavily edited for brevity:

All of which leads back to Offord ... a third-round draft pick in 2002, he has the prototypical build and approach for a safety. He stands nearly 6-2, weighs 216 pounds and seems to carry a permanent scowl on his face.

Offord's rookie season, however, proved a scarring experience ... thrown into the starting lineup for lack of a better option, Offord was overwhelmed by the complexity of NFL offensive schemes. Even the layman observed him lost on the field, losing all sense of the fundamentals.

"We had to start him last year," Tice said. "We threw him to the wolves because we had to. We ruined him, mentally, but we think he's back."

The Vikings, who like Offord's athleticism and size, believe he can be an above-average free safety if he can mentally grasp the position. Tice acknowledged "he's still doing a lot of thinking," and Offord stopped short of calling himself a wise veteran just yet.

"I'm still learning, but I do feel a lot more comfortable on the field, just trying to make a few more plays," he said. "I've got a lot of guys depending on me. What I'm trying to do is just learn and gain the respect of my teammates."

And he's just a safety! Anyway, you're welcome to visit and learn. And you can talk outside the commercials - as long as it's about the game. No soccer, rugby, or cricket comparisons either!

I am sure a football party here in the DR will be quite a different thing than back home, between the palm trees, the ocean in the distance, the great weather, Larry and his 'friends', and having to explain the whole thing to both Dominicans and soccer fans.

Talk about multicultural! This should be fun!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tell you what

We'll help you through NFL season if you let us watch the Premiership or Spanish First Division, too. And of course the World Cup in 2006?? Is it??

NFL football is truly a very entertaining game, and Dominican have taken to it like ducks to water. All the betting parlours have the games on Sunday and they know all the players. If you want a good "going Native" experience come with me one Sunday to watch the games at my favorite hang out. Only problem: No smoking!

If a lineman messes up, he hopes the linebacker can help, if the linebacker messes up he has the Strong Safety to rely on, and if he messes up he can hope the Free Safety is there. If Not? TOUCHDOWN!! FS is one of the hardest to play and a good one is worth millions...

Miami, Jets, Oakland, St Louis, Giants and maybe Kansas City are my picks this year...but injuries can destroy a team in one second.

HB

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I ahve no idea what that is but ..

... if there's any way it can be viewed on DirecTV you're always welcome.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
as an original viking who conquered britain,
then went on to colonise and oppress two-thirds of the world, whilst inventing the three major sports of the world and then supposedly brainwashed the people of those nations to play and enjoy those sports,
whilst other nations, as a result of having smaller brains to be washed, didn't get the rules quite right so they had to adapt the rules to suit themselves (rugby to nfl),
i have absolutely no comment to make on this thread.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Cool, then don't.

The only comments I wanted to hear really, were from those who would enjoy viewing some good 'ole American Sunday NFL Football down here in the beautiful Dominican Republic at Xanadu this fall!

If you're not IN ... you're OUT. (Although I understand this can happen multiple times, right CCCCCccCCcccCCccccccc? :: smile :: )

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
bochinche said:
as an original viking who conquered britain,
then went on to colonise and oppress two-thirds of the world, whilst inventing the three major sports of the world and then supposedly brainwashed the people of those nations to play and enjoy those sports,
whilst other nations, as a result of having smaller brains to be washed, didn't get the rules quite right so they had to adapt the rules to suit themselves (rugby to nfl),
i have absolutely no comment to make on this thread.

I love it when you say nothing! You say it so Good! Keep on!