Puppies

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
My husband and I were walking yesterday (here in Virginia) and came across the most adorable Pug dog. We started thinking that it would be a great surprise to perhaps give his sibiling a cute puppy or younger dog when we visit later this year.

So my question is:

Can you buy Pugs in the DR? and if so how much would they be?

We are not necessarily looking for a purebred but if it's mixed that is just not look like any old mutt. (I think mutts are the best, he doesn't particularly care for them now that he's seen the purebreds)

Would it be better to try to find a puppy here in the U.S and bring it with us after it's had all it's shots and papers?

IF we were to get them a dog it would probably be kept in the campo at their house treated very well and definately loved by his younger sisters. My husband already was saying that the dog would not be eating concon, it deserves dog food!

I did however warn him that if we were to get this dog, we'd also probably be getting the phone calls asking for money to feed and take it to the vet....that's a whole other issue with this brilliant idea of ours!

I would love to hear what's available in the DR in terms of dogs and any experiences people have had bringing their pets to the DR.

Thanks

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
If you find one you like, my advice would be to bring it with you. I am unsure of the legal/airline requirements, but I don't think it is too difficult for a small dog. Availability of a puppy here could certainly be a problem and even then if you find it, it might not have been cared for that well. BTW, I can't remember ever seeing a pug here.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Bringing a dog to the DR

We brought ours. A 3 year old miniature dachshund. Had to get an international travel certificate from the vet ($50) and boosters for all shots and a good check-up ($200). Also, the airlines require an "approved" carrier which costs about $70 and is good for dogs around 10 lbs or less. The airline charged us $50 for his ticket and he sat at my feet the whole way (from Atlanta). Little guy was great, he was so quiet that when we went through customs they didn't even know he was in the carrier!

No concon, but a couple of good premium dog foods are available here. Very good vet in Santiago came in handy. O'Reilly was attacked by a local perro while we were out for a walk and needed several stitches. Guess we humans are'nt the only ones who need to "watch out"! Anyway, now I carry a big stick..

Bring your dog. Most of the ones you see here are pretty sad. Can't speak for any local breeders.

D & D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It isn't hard

I brought my sister's dog here. I got a health certificate from her vet, got it stamped at the local DR Consulate, got a travel box, paid the airline and boom, we were here.

I don't recall spending that much money either.

FYI, there are fine pure breds available all the time. There are good breeders in Santo Domingo and the Classifieds have a whole section on dogs...

Might be a lot cheaper to inves $150 in one here rather than pay a lot to bring one down..Especialy if it really isn't "family"...\

HB

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Thanks everyone.

The more I read about Pugs it might seem they wouldn't do so well in the heat and humidity. They easily have respitory problems when it's hot, so some of the website say. The apparently can easily have allergies and with all the dust and heat I think they would encounter the living condition just too uncomfortable.

I told my husband it would be hard to buy a $600 puupy just to give it away to his family.

I think IF we do this we will more than likely buy the dog there. This hasn't even come up for discussion the past few weeks so hopefully the idea has died on the vine.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete Dogs

Why buy if it's just a dog you want? There are lots around which have been abandoned by previous owners.
Cabarete beach abounds with dogs - someone has started an adopt a dog scheme and most of them have string collars with a contact number on. Can't say I'm too keen as we walk our 2 family pets there every morning and to be followed by a pack of strays can be a little disconcerting, however, now that we all know each other we don't seem to have a problem. Just wish someone else would poop scoop the strays and the other dog walkers animals - can't be nice for the tourists?
There are a couple of nice dogs there too - they really enjoy following joggers from one end of the beach to the other.
The adopt a dog scheme is probably a better solution than last year's poisoning event! Just means that this year the tourists have to put up with being followed by up to 10 dogs every time they venture out, have to weave amongst the dog turds and put up with any number of strays sitting at their evening dinner table on the beach?
We're dog loving Brits but it does get a bit tiresome!!
So please come along and take a stray dog and give it a good home?
Poop scooping Peter & Alex