Restoration Day?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I remember reading in another thread about this day. What exactly is this day for?
Alos what you mean you have to listen to the speah and go to church? I have no idea even when a church starts here or where the catholic churches are. Theres a baptist one close to me...does that count? Never been to catholic service in my life.
And NO BEER!!!?? Does that include ron? People won't be drinking in the colmados all day? or the parks? and the resturants?
Tell me about this thing..I have to be prepared with my alcohol stash if this is really true.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
A no-beer day?!

WTF?! Never!

D?a de la Restauraci?n (for short, in full it is D?a de la Restauraci?n de la Independencia) conmmemorates the ending of the "second" Spanish intervention.

After the Haitian invasion of 1822 Dominicans successfully fought for independence, the war ending in 1844. Fast forward to the election of the first Democratic president of the young Republic, General Pedro Santana who as soon as he came in to power did what has become a tradition for Dominican presidents: screw it. He annexed the Republic to Spain as a colony, the Spaniards were happy enough that they didn't have to fight to regain the colony.

A group of Dominicans, under their leader General Gregorio Luper?n fought back regaining independence from Spain (who was in no shape of defending anything, let alone a piece of island in the middle of nowhere). That's what we celebrate August 16. Every four years the president is sworn to office into that same day.

That's it.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Jan said:
I have no idea even when a church starts here or where the catholic churches are. Theres a baptist one close to me...does that count? Never been to catholic service in my life.

DUNKING is not the same thing as SPRINKLING even if you use Presidente Beer as the liquid of choice!