Foreign Ownership of land (and living back in homeland) . . .

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
I have heard of foreign nationals buying land in the DR. Does anyone know of any stories of people having problems maintaining land or a house while not being in the country? From my understanding, if you have a basic house , you'll need either a renter or a house sitter while your not there, but even then, hose sitters will no exactly do a good job if your not there. Laywers seem to have a second duty at times of being a rent collector for foreign nationals, but you also have potential squatter problems and always somekind of (using my paranoid mind here) psuedo buerecratic takeover of the land to fear.
I imagine any house would be a target for it's fictures, refrigerator and wood and anything else of any value (except cement bricks, no one is so poor that they steal cement bricks.

-Lee

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Depends on where the house is located. If in one of the so-called gated communities that has its own security, you should let the manager of the complex know your situation. I'm sure they don't want word to get out that people are breaking into vacant houses. You can also contract with someone to take care of your house. For example, if you are located or locating in the Sosua area, I can recommend a Canadian expat who is taking care of a number of houses, including some in Sea Horse Ranch.

So that you will be at ease when not here, I would work something out with the manager of the "community" if there is one, or contract with someone to manage the property, including collecting the rent and making sure system remain in good condition. And if the house was relatively isolated, I would hire what is called an "encargado" to provide security and keep away the squatters.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
This is near the mountain, Isabel Torres

not in a gated facility. Generall in new urban development area near Barrio de los Reyes. Some richy rich dominican houses near by, and some more modest regular (if there is such a thing). Barrio de los reyes houses near by. Easy place to get help.

-Lee

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
ltsnyder said:

I imagine any house would be a target for it's fictures, refrigerator and wood and anything else of any value (except cement bricks, no one is so poor that they steal cement bricks.

-Lee
Hey, for the price those things are going for these days, don't count on people not wanting to steal cinder blocks! Actually overheard some people joking and muttering about helping themselves to some at an SD construction site, because it was getting too expensive to buy all they needed for their own project!
Regards,
Keith