Newbie - done my research, i'll try not to repeat i swear!

Ella

Jul 30, 2003
Hello Everyone

I have been surfing through the forums for a little while now and have finally decided to put up a post. This forum in particular has been quite entertaining, i must say!

I will be going to Punta Cana in October with some girlfriends, and I now regret that and wish I could go somewhere else else where i can actually leave the resort.

At first, the AI sounded amazing - everything that you need within minutes! But now i regret that i wopn't be able to see the colourful life of the residents that you all so passionately describe.

All i know is that i am going to stay away from the resort workers (I've experienced that stupidity once already in Cuba - i'm a bit older and wiser now!) but will enjoy the sun and sand and the entertaining individuals i am sure to meet at the resort.

Just wanted to say hello...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ella, I don't understand why you can't do some exploring off the grounds of the AI. There are taxis and there must be public transportation that you can take to see some of the surrounding area.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Did She Mean?

That outside the AI's in Punta Cana there is nothing to see? I always had the impression that the town really is a conglomerate of AI's and not like PP, or Sosua or Boca Chica with a town of other hotels and businesses.

Ella

Jul 30, 2003
From what i understand, PC is a town of resorts only...other than group excursions i don't think there is much else...unless someone else know differently?

Once i get there, i'll see what i can do!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Where is Hlywud when you need him?

Come on Hlywud - I know you can help Ella out on this one.

Gregg

(Who has concentrated on the North Coast - on purpose.)

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Don't regret your plans........

......embrace them. You still get to be in the DR. You will have a great time. Try to get out and explore, meet the people. When you go home, start planning your next DR adventure. Think CABARETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobnoxious

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 2, 2002
Ella, it won't be so bad

Check with the warden and see if he/she will let you have a day pass. If they're nice (and you behave yourself), you can get a glimpse of the outside. You might even get to have a drink and chat with a person or two. Then, it's back to the shackles and the velvet prison you have chosen. What a drag. Just don't drop the soap in the shower!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
ricktoronto said:
I always had the impression that the town really is a conglomerate of AI's and not like PP, or Sosua or Boca Chica with a town of other hotels and businesses.

That was always what I had thought too. But I don't believe that can be completely true. However, outside of a brief layover at the airport once I have never been anywhere near it. Too from the North Coast!

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
I was there in June.....its boring!
the surrounding area does not hav much to offer. most you can do is take those excursions....but it doesnt compare to other parts of the DR where u can walk out of ur resort and right into town.....and mingle with the locals

beaches are amazing, but if u want to venture out and about town, there wont be much to see...Higuey is about an hour away and i found it boring as well (sorry for those of you from there)

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Don't be sorry. Higuey is for us Higueyanos. And everybody else can stay out. It may be too expensive for them.

Sir Boss Jos?
Higueyano by birth, mujeriego by choice

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
No seas tan pesado muchacho.

That's what my wife had said, although she likes Bavaro a lot. Someday when I am not so busy I have to make the trip just to see. The beaches do look wonderful, and I like the solitude anyway.

Little Joe: Take the girl's advice above and lighten up. You'll live longer. Just think of all the satisfaction you'll get out of annoying the rest of us for that much more time. You're funny! Embarassing, but funny!

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I stayed In PC also and found it quite nice.

I think it has the most amazing beach.

I personally do not mind going to a resort and being catered to. My wife and I loved it.

I visited Saona Island, booze cruise and Higuey.

Higuey is small but rich in history. Most of the dulce de leche comes from a company which is owned by a very lovely lady and her son. You should see how they make it and then distribute it.

Also, Higuey has the Vasilica which is gorgeous.

If you want to get away from the city and just relax for a week, PC is great.

I know people who live in SDQ and santiago and love getting away for a few days to PC or La Romana.

If you are trying to see the "real" DR, then an AI is not for you.

Next time plan for both. Stay a few days and an AI and also out of the AI.

As far as PC, it was not boring for me at all.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
XR, do yourself a favor and go to PC!

I recommend the RIU PALACE MACAO.

They have 5 resorts in one (Palace,Melao,Bambu,Taino and Naiboa).

The palace is their 5 star hotel.

If you stay at any of the other resorts, you can use all the other hotel's facilties except the palace. If you stay at the Palace, you can use any facilities you desire.

Wife and I stayed at the Palace and it was wonderful. Our best favorite pool was at the Bambu because so many people were there and just loved hanging out by the swimp up bar.

We were celebarting our anniversary and these workers went out of thier way to accomodate us.

I am talking about a two floor Jacuzzi Suite. The room has a mini bar with a liquor dispenser containing Gin,Rum,Vodka and whiskey.

I can go on and on. My point is that you will not be disappointed.

I hear that Secrets and Paradisus are also nice but I cannot say since I never stayed there.

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
XR, quit following me around.

By the way, you are posting at a Karmatico-like pace; at that rate, you'll have a thousand posts by August 2nd, 2003.

Sir Boss Jos?
Stay in B?varo, but leave Higuey for nosotros los Higueyanos. We like it. We consume more Presidente beer than the rest of the country. And we like it.

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
jose?to said:
Don't be sorry. Higuey is for us Higueyanos. And everybody else can stay out. It may be too expensive for them.

Sir Boss Jos?
Higueyano by birth, mujeriego by choice

I didnt say it wasnt beautiful or rich in culture....i just said it was a little slow paced for me....i'm used to the hustle and bustle in DR, although i prefer the campo....

And its not too expensive for me so deja de tirar pullas....

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
por favor mi gente

this is a good thread...let's not let this go south

we all have different tastes

at least we can agree that the beach was beautiful.

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
cmedina07 said:
por favor mi gente

this is a good thread...let's not let this go south

we all have different tastes

at least we can agree that the beach was beautiful.

I concur :)

the beaches are totally amazing!!!! and the resorts in the area are also BEAUTIFUL!!!!

And your damn right about the vasilica, it is truly beautiful!!!

Josue Collado

Jul 31, 2003
home.attbi.com
Paradisus

I've been in the hotel Paradisus and it's beautiful. The town is small and slow paced but you can meet native dominicans and visit perhaps a family in the campo. Enjoy!!!