Quisqueya TESOL

lissyde

Dec 3, 2002
Hi! Has anyone heard anything about or taken the TESOL certification classes? There's a school in Samana that offers TESOL certification but I'm not sure how legit this is? I am very interested in taking this but would like to know if anyone knows anything regarding this? Also, after being certified are jobs readily available? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Which ones, & where?

lissyde,
It's not clear from your post if you are inquiring about any TESOL certification programs in the DR, or just those in and around Samana. If the former, you should check into the Dominico-Americano in Santo Domingo. There may be other TESOL certification programs in the DR that I don't know about, but this one is well recognized outside the DR. The appropriate website for it is:
http://www.icda.edu.do/english/unicda/index.htm

and more specifically their course program for TESOL certification is:
http://www.icda.edu.do/english/unicda/carreras/pensums/espeducacioningles.htm

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
If anyone is interested in the course referred to in Samana, check it out on the Classifieds section of DR1 under "Employment". They have a website with lots of information. Whilst I haven't taken the course myself, I have been very impressed by the response of the Directors, who are based in Canada but have Dominican connections, and seem to have a strong commitment to improving English language teaching here.

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has actually taken the course.

Linda.

ESOLteacher

Dec 14, 2004
going in January

I am thinking of going to that school in January and just wanted to hear if anyone had been there and had good things to say. Also any tips on Samana - how is it? What to bring? What to do? I love to dance bachata - how is it there for foreign girls? Am I naive to think I can just go and dance and not deal with sankies? thanks/gracias a todos!

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Yes on all counts.

I took the first Quisqueya course to be held in this country and found it very helpful and very professional. I was already teaching English here and had a teaching qualification from England, but this course helped to build my confidence and to improve a lot of my practice in this country, taking into account cultural aspects etc.

When I took the course it was based in Los Cacaos so I think a lot of the practicalities have changed since then. However, Samana itself is great. We didn't really have a lot of time to go dancing as the course is pretty intensive, but I'm sure you could get in a bit of the bachata without having too many problems with Sankies. I think the problems arise for the people who don't know who or what Sankies are. Forewarned is forearmed, and even Sankies can be fun to do the bachata with......as long as it stops there.

Have fun and enjoy the course.