fishing

Pat LaVoie

Jul 24, 2003
I am concidering visiting DR to look at property to buy. I love to fish. I'm from the Oregon coast where I can fish without a boat and catch all varitety of fish and seafood. Yesterday I caught 30 crab, two flounder, 4 dozen musell and a dozen anchovie. But the weather is not hot and the water is ice cold for surfing. Can I satifiy my fishing addiction in DR. The post I've read are very contradictive about fish and seafood. Thanks

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Don't know about the south coast but fishing on the north out of Cabarete, Sosua, POP is pretty lousy! I have the same fishing bug as you but am sorely dismayed at the lack of response to my dangling things in the waters around here. Tried it all! Surf, beach, boat etc. there are fish but few and far between and probably the worst place in the world where I've ever fished!!
I get my buzz just fishing for small fry in our local river - at least that way I get to sit for hours alone and unstressed, but with no fish it's becoming a chore!
If you are serious about buying here, and about fishing, perhaps we could team up and do the deep water sport fishing thing? Local tour boats are very few, expensive and don't really go look for fish other than to take tourists out for the US$'s. A 4 hour round trip hardly gets you out into the dark blue waters, does it?
I was impressed with Samana area as it seems to have fishing potential but the only decent boat there was laid up or for sale(?) and we live too far away to make it a regular trip.
Perhaps we'll meet up if you're down this way and swap tales.
Walk softly, but carry a big fish!
Peter

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Pete
are you kidding me you know the river is absolutely teeming with fishies......just admit you're a crap fisherman or maybe it was the broken glasses.........LOL!!!!!!!!!
you can always try the pond!!!
cheers mate

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Cabarete may be famous for many things but fishing isn't one of them
There are many places in the DR that are very productive from shore. On the north coast your best bets are Samana and Monticristi.
On the south coast the places are to numerous to list here.

Crabs and other shellfish can be had. Flounder? Forget it. the only flounder that is in the caribbean grows to about 4 inches.
No anchovies but there are lots of other types of baitfish to be found. Menhadden(Bunker) Ballyhoo, silversides and flying fish...ect. Bring lots of sabikis.

Some of the species to target from beaches are Jacks, Barracuda, Mackeral.
In river mouths and mangroves you can target Snook and Tarpon. A word of warning. Snook and Tarpon will give you more of a fight than anything you can catch up in the Pacific Northwest so bring stout tackle.

Pat LaVoie

Jul 24, 2003
I'm still abit confused about the fishing. I'm not a high tech fisherman with fancy poles and tackel. When I vacation in Mexico I fish with hand line, no pole and cut bait. Fish with the locals, down a few beers and catch, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just out to enjoy the day but hate to get skunked. Never been deep sea fishing. Cost prohibits it. I appreciate the helpful post. I think I'm spoild here in the northwest. My dad just dropped of a saloman and 5 bass. Do the locals fish much there?
Enjoy
Pat