injections

stormrainbow

Aug 2, 2003
Hi ya

I read one of the postings below where there was a link to health advice etc. Unless I am imagining things is said injections and malaria tablets were not necessary. We have been informed we need thyphoid/hepatitis injections (excuse my spelling if wrong!) and to have tablets malaria tablets? Is this as we are from the uk? Any ideas?

Ta!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Assuming you are going to staying in the usual tourist areas, rather than, for example, near the border with Haiti, you don't need to take medication against malaria.

The injection against hepititis is a worthwhile precaution, probably no matter where you live. I'd recommend it.

Dec 9, 2002
None of the jabs, nor the malaria tablets, are compulsory for us Brits. They are simply recommendations by the Chief Medical Officer. Tour Operators will almost always tell you that you need them, but Ken is right, unless you are likely to stray off the beaten track, they are not really necessary.

stormrainbow

Aug 2, 2003
thanks!

Thanks! I will consider my options now...but do you think a 3 year old should take the malaria precautions and the injections? My doc says yes but the pharmasist says hed never give his child the malaria tablets, so Im all worried now! What should I do? Does anyone have experiance of children over there?

Thanks

Storm

Dec 9, 2002
Sorry Storm, can't help as regards kids I'm afraid. I can tell you that the recommended malaria protection is called Avloclor (available from Boots for around ?2 for 20 tablets - dead cheap!). According to the dosage instructions on the pack, they can be taken by children aged 1 upwards.

Naturally, you'd be wary to go against what your doctor says, especially where a child's health is concerned. The only thing I would say is that you might have trouble getting a three year old to take them - they taste absolutely vile! No matter how good you are at swallowing pills, you can still taste these.

stormrainbow

Aug 2, 2003
Thanks..again

Yeah so I hear! Although one make Ive been told about can be taken in liqued form, although thinking about it I cant see how that would be any better, lol!

Its a worry eh! Little boy has to come first...still I have plent of time to decide on what to do.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Storm

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
If you decide to take the malaria pills, be sure that they're the right ones for the strain in the Dominican Republic - different than in South America or Africa.

It's called Aralen, at least by one manufacturer. They're also available over the counter in the DR, although the treatment should begin a week or 2 before you arrive.

I wouldn't take it either, unless I were going to be near Haiti, in which case I'd leave the child at home.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
UK Advice

If you are that worried then call the UK Hospital Centre for Tropical Diseases as they will have the most up to date info on what drug to take for what strain of malaria is currently prevalent in this area, if any. We are Brits, been all over the world and taken every known malaria pill there is but don't bother here! We know of no local cases of malaria here on the north coast.
Hepititis jabs are all very well but for which strain?
Appreciate your concern for the youngster but feel that you are probably getting yourself worked up over nothing. (We brought up 4 kids in remote places in Southern Sudan and Kenya and never had any real problems. Just kept them up to date with their polio, typhoid jabs etc. and tried to make sure they didn't eat too much sand)!
Come, keep him clean and just enjoy the DR!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have never heard of an expat on the North Coast giving malaria injections to their children, much less getting the injections themselves.

Amazing the difference in perception between people living elsewhere and writing travel advisories and people living in the country being advised about.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Voice of Experience

40+ years: No Hepetitus, except one son got it from Dentist in Esperanza he was "dating" and he gave it to another brother. EOS.

No malaria, and certainly no pills. All kids did normal course of immunizations during infancy.

Unless you are going "exploring" in some really wierd places, I would not recommend anything other than normal, sanitary precautions: Wash your hands a lot.

HB

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
No shots for me...

I never thought of Malaria and Hepatitis until I read this...If none of you expats have used the shots..Do you think I will need them along with my 3 yr old living in a campos/rural area/ situation? I have been to several places and got the worst case of Pink eye in history (My opinion..:) ) In the Phillippines..But never thought of malaria..uuhhh :) Pam

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Doubt it, but don't know the area. You should check with people from that area to see whether it is a problem there.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
shots...

Thans Ken we are calling the DR tomorrow and I am asking about it..better safe than sorry! Thanks :) Pam

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
goatfarmnga,

It is my understanding that:

1. Malaria is among the top 3 or so worst diseases worldwide, and

2. Once contracted, it never completely leaves, and

3. There are side effects from prolonged use of preventatives, and

4. The risk of contracting malaria is much greater near Haiti than in the rest of the DR.

I don't know where you plan to be, but it would seem that it would not be a good idea to be near Haiti, especially if it would mean subjecting a child to the possibility of encountering malaria.

On the other hand, I have an aunt who survived a severe case of it in her 20's and is now in her late 80's.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Malaria..uuhhhh

Well I will be North OF Santo Domingo between SD and Santiago in Monte' Plata area of Yamasa'. My brother in law seems modern but just because you have a phone and a nice car..I will know when I get there. But my mother in law has no phone on her farm (cocoa) so I am trying to live where I can have normal conveniences. I may just check into the vaccines for my son but really hate to have him take them if not necessary. I am going to research it now! Thanks for the info! A usual more good info on DR1 :) Pam

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Re: thanks!

stormrainbow said:
Thanks! I will consider my options now...but do you think a 3 year old should take the malaria precautions and the injections? My doc says yes but the pharmasist says hed never give his child the malaria tablets, so Im all worried now! What should I do? Does anyone have experiance of children over there?

Thanks

Storm

Food for thought, the pharmacist has a better knowledge of drugs, their risks and benefits. If he suggests not to give a three year old child malaria tablets I would take his opinion seriously. I am aware, at least in the States. pharmacists can and have a legal right to deny filling a prescription for any client they know and feel is at risk. I think in this case, the pharmacist is hinting, if given the prescription, he would deny filling it. Regards, PJT

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We've been bringing our granddaughter here since she was 8 months of age. Now we live here and she is 2 and a half. Never an additional shot besides the usual schedule of kids immunisations. We did not think any additional hepatitis or malaria shots were necessary.

She's had one cold, mild measels and pink eye recently - joining the whole neighborhood as everybody had it.
For the first few visits, we walked around with a box of wet wipes and wiped her hands and our own frequently and wiped or washed any fruit that we bought off the street. So, a few boxes of wet wipes and drinking bottled water are the only precautions we've ever taken.

So, don't sit outside in a mess of mosquitos - keep the child clean and don't eat if you do not know where it comes from and how it has been prepared.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well you are wise to ask, Pam.

So, let's do this. Make sure that your child knows the rules about eating. Nothing you don't give him.

You have to be vigilent about standing water around where you live. Get it cleaned up.

Keep bug repelant with DEET on hand at all times. Use mosquito nets at night.

Long pants, sock and shoes, and a t-shirt at all times.

Think: CLEAN. Lots of soap and water. The cheapest soap is fine, just use it. (Jabon de cuaba(sp?))

HB

Edited to add: Remember things like pink eye, typhoid, cholera, trots, hepititus all come from "hand to mouth" transmission. Literally-eating schitt!...
Malaria and dengue come from mosquitos: Get rid of the mosquitos and you don't have a problem.

Hopes this helps....

Last edited:

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Good to know!

Thanks I feel better...My dad always said WASH YOUR HANDS..Maybe it will actually be a good idea. Thanks for the tips and My son is an outdoor boy..In the dirt all day..You would have to see him to believe what I am saying..I am on a farm of sorts! He has Never been sick..(Knock on wood) So hope he is resilient to whatever he may come into contact with there..Up to date on shots, wipes and bottle water are easy to do! THanks again DR1! :) Pam

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
goatfarmnga ,

It sounds like you'll be far away from Haiti - that helps.

Still, you should at least put screen wire over the windows. While you're in the city (Santo Domingo or Santiago), BEFORE you go to your destination, stop at a hardware store. Ochoa is the best and most numerous, although to find something as exotic as window screen you may have to go to a big one of its branches.

Buy umpteen yards of screen and a big roll of duct tape. Find out ahead of time how many windows are in the house and estimate how many yards of screen you'll need. Buy a scissors, too, just to be sure. You can then cut the screen as needed and install it with duct tape.

This assumes of course that the house to which you're headed is not built of slabs, since the cracks between the slabs are too numerous to seal.