rape, how frequent?

susana

Mar 26, 2003
When I was in the DR (only 2x), I felt very safe, no matter my surrondings, (disco, restaurant, dark street). I did not feel like rape is an issue there. Am I just stupid, or is there a cultural thing that makes this a non issue? Is it a "town size" issue like it is around my neck of the woods or what? just curious about how often, (if ever) it really happens.

S

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Please take standard precautions

Always go out with freinds, let family/(other freinds) know where you are going. Stay with the group, I think it is also smart to have a cell phone if your living there.
Be concerned about putting yourself in a "date-rape" situation, some men at times think after a date that they deserve something. Now let me back up, in general I don't think DR is any more dangerous that any other place, but please, don't put yourself in danger, use standard precautions. If riding moto-conchos ride as a group, not alone at night.

-Lee

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Rape is an issue anywhere in the world. And rape has nothing to do with culture.

I'm glad you felt safe when you were in the DR. Good. But wherever you go you should trust your instincts and always be careful.

-Indie

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
As Indie says, rape can happen anywhere, any country, any community, no matter how small. How often it happens in the DR is hard to say, because it's not talked about, and as far as I can remember, the government does not publish statistics on it.
Regards,
Keith

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You are probably quite safe in the tourist areas because the young men have no need to rape women. There are so many visitors eager to have a fling with Dominicans that they are busy just keeping up with the demand.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
"...because the young men have no need to rape women"??? You think rape is based on need? Rape is a crime of aggression. Power. Control. It is NOT based on need.

Susana, just be careful.

-Indie

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
Don't go alone to discos, and wear a ring on your wedding ring finger....don't piss guys off if they make advances....and watch out for tourist men as well! Use common sense in determining what kind of situations you let yourself get into....