How to write a letter to the DR.

melg01

Aug 4, 2003
I just came back from a two week vacation in the DR...puerto plata specifically and came back having met a couple of friends. I want to write them a letter, and have their address, yet am unsure of what the correct way to address the letter would be. I am from the US and I just want to make sure it would get to them. Can anyone tell me the proper format of address? Thanks!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
The format is not so different in the DR:

Name
Street Name, #
Sector/Urbanization
City (Puerto Plata?)
Dominican Republic

Chances are you were not given a postal code; most Dominicans not only don't utilize them, they don't know what theirs is.

Your bigger issue should be whether or not the letter would ever arrive, correct address or not. Instituto Postal Dominicano is notoriously unreliable. :(

Regards,
Keith

melg01

Aug 4, 2003

thanks keith for that fast reply. Im dissappointed to hear about the chances of my letter getting there are slim. This is all the info I have:

Name
#...no street name
los charamico
barrio el tablon
sosua

do you think that's enough information? I don't even know if they are capable of recieving mail....makes me sad!

Dec 9, 2002
If that's the address they gave you, just send the letter. If it gets there, great. If not, you've only lost the cost of the postage. Just don't enclose anything with the letter.

GypsyGRL

Apr 26, 2003
Good Luck!

I mailed post cards to my family from the DR in April, they've never arrived. My Aunts friend mailed her a post card from the DR in Feb. She recieved it at the end of May!!
Not reliable is an understatement!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It will get there

That is enough for the PO folks in Sosua to locate your people.

It might take a while. YOu can spend a few more bucks and send it International Priority via the USPS and it will arrive quite fast.

All depends on what you want to do.

HB

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I would suggest using email if they have it or tell them to go to a place where they can recieve a fax and send it that way. It took 4 months for me to get a letter from usa and a few of the letters people sent...been waiting over 1 year and still haven't recieved them.
If your friends don't have an email address tell them to go to a computer cafe and get one and to just go and check the email every once in a while. But really, by the time they recieve your letter,if they ever do, all the news will be really old.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ah Jan, that's why we love you

Los Charamicos
Barrio El Tabl?n
Sosua

That address almost precludes indoor plumbing!

Email? What electricity?

Fax? Only at a nearby business on the highway.

No, the International Priority will work, but it costs more...

HB

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
If you know these people live near a colomado or store, put the stores name on it.

Like this:

Fulano de tal
c/o Super Sexy Tienda
then the rest of the address.

Then if you have phone number for your friends you call them and tell them to inquire within the store and let the people know if they recieve anything in their name to let them know. Better yet ask your friend what shops they stop by often.

This has worked for me for years. I did ask permission to use the colomados address and they actually never get the cards the post office employee knows everyone, but I need their address to get the letter as far as it will go....

I don't know how well it would work in a bigger town, but if it's a well known place and they receive mail regularly then I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
El Tabl?n (at least, most of it) is a jumble of houses, without street names, let alone numbers. See a photo here: http://dr1.com/media/cgi-bin/media.cgi?action=view&link=Member_Photos&image=tablon.jpg&img=592&tt= They do not receive mail there.

You ought to tell your friend to ask the people at the post office in El Batey (there is no post office in Charamicos anymore) to hold onto anything that arrives for him/her, or ask them to supply the address of their workplace, friend's house, or anywhere with a definitive address.

A fax to Codetel (the telephone centres) would work much better, as they post the list of recipient's names daily and even if he or she didn't go into Codetel to get it, word may get to him/her from others. Sosua is still kind of a small town in that way.

Last edited:

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I get lots of correspondence from DR and is usually sent via FedEx. Anything you send regular mail wont get delivered for awhile (sometimes even months!) if you just want to keep in touch, I guess is ok to use regular mail, but if is something you want to be delivered right away, go w/ UPS or FedEx.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Regarding JJ's suggestion, I don't know if INPOSDOM still offers the service, nor whether it is available in the El Batey office, but it used to be that if you addressed a letter to a person in care of "Poste Restante" (more or less "General Delivery" in our parlance) at the post office of the town or city in question, that person could pick it up with proof of ID. I never had occassion to use it in the DR (maybe someone else on the Board has), but did use it successfully when bumming my way across Brazil....
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Keith

melg01

Aug 4, 2003
sosua beach

the reason why Im asking all this is because I want to send some pictures to some boys I met that became good friends of mine...and I know it would mean alot to one of them if I sent them some pictures. He's very poor, but yet seems to call me (US mind you) and I feel really bad because I know he can't afford it. And plus when he does call, its hard to communicate because I speak very little spanish and him no english, so I feel really bad. I want to send them pictures so they can at least have something to remember. Does anyone go to sosua beach often? The boys that I met work the banana boats there. Maybe there's someway I can get pictures to them? If not..i'll definately try just UPS's or fedex. Thanks

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Let us know when you get the call that their mother is in the hospital!

They see hundreds of tourists per month.They could care less about the pictures.Its money or tennis shoes that they want! Relax!:bandit: CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc