dr receipe

allettas

Dec 28, 2002
does anyone have a receipe for dr beans and rice? I've been to Sosua 3 times and lived off beans and rice. I ate them at PJ's and a few local restaurants/vendors. There sooo good. I looked on that "Aunt Maria's" or whatever its called, but they are not the same. If you could, please let me know the secret. Thanks;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have to be more specific

1) Are the rice and beans separate? If so, I am sure Aunt Clara's site has a good recipe
2) Are the rice and beans mixed together either in a brown or blackish combination, called "Moro" ? If so, Aunt Clara has the real deal.

3) The beans are important: red kidney beans? Black beans,? Guandules (Chick peas?)

If you are still stuck, send me an email for our family's recipe.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

susana

Mar 26, 2003
love those beans

I too loved the flavor of the beans I found on the north coast, I have tried the Aunt Claras beans, and found it took a few times and the key for me was the type of squash that I used. Living in the sticks, like I do, can't always get all kinds of squash, but the third time (I used butternut squash), and I think I came very close to the wonderful flavors I had in the DR!.... (I also have found that starting with dried beans instead of canned, does wonders for the flavor.)

Now if I could just grow mango trees here in Montana.

S :cool:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: love those beans

susana said:
(I also have found that starting with dried beans instead of canned, does wonders for the flavor.)
S :cool:
Oh no, NEVER use canned!!! I made the mistake of bringing canned beans from the supermarket to my wife only once. Got such a lecture about the difference between canned and "fresh"! In fact, she still complains about having to rely on Goya bags here in Virginia rather than the "truly fresh" we bought in the DR. Also, she soaks them for some time before cooking. But I'm sure that Clara covers this....
Regards,
Keith