moving to the DR

Blaire

May 14, 2003
hey all!! Im 17 living in Canada i went to the DR in the spring and loved it!! when im done skool im planning on getting into tourism and moving to the DR i was wondering if anyone had any info on how easy...or not easy this would be to get placed in a job there or work anywhere and living all replies would be great!!
Thanks a bunch
Blaire:cool:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Dearest Blaire: I assume when you say "when i finish school" means college, not high school.

If you want to get in to tourism, why don't you check out getting a job on a cruise liner. Then you could travel to all the caribbean islands. Then, when you've got some experience under your belt, choose your favorite island, and then check for jobs in the resorts. While you are in college, you will need to take several semesters in a foreign language, such as Spanish, to get a job in the DR. Otherwise, the islands where English is the primary language would be best for you.

In conclusion, look before you leap!

Oh, my , does this remind me of when I was 17. I had been to Florida on spring break. I bought a surf board for $10 on the beach. At the end of the week, I called home and told dad I needed money to ship the board home. He said "Jan, why would you want a surboard in Kentucky? The Ohio River only makes waves when a barge goes by? No, I will not ship the board home."

I was devastated and cried for the rest of the day. I decided that week that I was moving to Florida when I graduated; live in a tent on the beach, and sell homemade jewelry. I got home and defiantly told my dad what my plans were. He said, "well, it looks like i'll be able to spend that money I saved for your college. I tell you what, Jan, I'll pay for the tent you'll need for the beach - that's the least I could do."

That was April 1969. When I graduated from high school that May, Florida was just a warm memory. I went on to college that fall. Met a man, married, and continued the Florida memory by going on vacation every year to Panama City Beach.

FRANKY R

Jul 11, 2003
come on

don't discourage the kid. he could still follow his dream <<<<not in D.R. of course.., haahaahhaa sorry kid just being real.

franky

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, like we need more bums around here?

Kid: Stay in school for as long as you can. Learn all you can about the tourist industry, computers and so forth. When you have a degree and a couple of languages you might think about coming here and offering your services.

Look at your competition:
4 1/2 to 5 year program
Business Administration plus Hotel Administration, Plus 6 to 10 months experience in Europe, Las VEgas or some place else, plus years of experience in Dominican hotels, plus at least three languages: English, Italian and German, for example, oh yes and Spanish....plus cooking and bartending skills to kill for...and more...

Get real young man and get prepared..

You have nothing to offer us here, YET. When you do, you will be welcomed with open arms...

HB

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The advice that Hillbilly just gave you is priceless and should be taken accordingly. There is NOTHING for you at this moment in the DR. Stay in Canada, finish college, study languages, get experience. People with dreams are a dime a dozen in the DR. All trying (Most without success) to make a few Pesos to eat and pay the rent. I wish I could trade places with you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm betting that "Blaire" is a young girl!!!!

Maybe got her first "taste" of chocolate in the DR,and can't wait to come back for more!And the cycle repeats itself yet again!
ccccccccccccccccc:confused:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It was so good................

Criss Colon said:
Maybe got her first "taste" of chocolate in the DR,and can't wait to come back for more!And the cycle repeats itself yet again!
ccccccccccccccccc:confused:

She even lost her ability to spell properly. Or punctuate. Terrible reading this IRC crap they think is good grammar even online.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Poor Blaire.....

Listen to all the good advice! It's all very well enjoying yourself here on holiday - it's a different kettle of fish when you try to work here! Forget it!!!
There are already dozens of young Dominicans who attended local "Tourism Courses" at local colleges - now they all spend their days trying to earn a buck or two by hassling tourists to go visit this or that resort or real estate development. You get a free bottle of rum and a tee shirt - they get US$10 for every mug they bring! Although we have gone along once to help a local friend earn his ten bucks then we all sat together and drunk the free rum!! Who's scamming who? The rest? Well, they end up standing in the street passing out adverts for trips to passing tourists - AND they have a local 'degree in tourism'!!!
If you are still considering a move to DR to play out your dream then PM us and we'll put you in touch with real people who have done/are doing what you want to do - they are all broke, living from hand to mouth and suffering badly. Some of them cannot even earn enough to pay for that ticket back home!!! They'll soon put you off, I guarantee!!!
Peter

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hey Criss

If Blaire is a girl, I wanna change the part of my post about "trading places" with her. LOL

Blaire

May 14, 2003
it will happen!...hopefully

thanks everyone for the info...you dont have to be rude about it! lol despite what you have told me im still going to try it...even if i dont succeed! i know some Canadians that are working in the DR with the tourism business and are doing fine...im not wanting to move there for the money or to one day become rich. I am going to go to college and explore my options. Im not saying that I want to work IN a hotel or manage it...just maybe be a tour guide or one of those people who tells the tourists at the airport about the hotels then goes to the hotel and sets them up with different tours and activities for them to do...im not to sure anything related to that would be fine! but what are all you doing in the DR for work ect.? ohh yeah and I am a girl...and i did like the "chocolate" while i was there lol but that still isn't the reason for me wanting to go there. Of coarse when I do go to look for work im going to have enough money saved to last me a while just incase nothing comes up and I need to come back home!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
JanH said:
I got home and defiantly told my dad what my plans were. He said, "well, it looks like i'll be able to spend that money I saved for your college. I tell you what, Jan, I'll pay for the tent you'll need for the beach - that's the least I could do."

Jan! You didn't strike Alba and me as the surfer type at Eddy's! I am impressed. But I really like your Dad. Smart man. I can envision me saying something just like that to our kids a few years hence!

:: smile ::

Tom (aka Xanadu)
Still waiting to reclaim Xanadu from the rugrats

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Re: it will happen!...hopefully

Blaire said:
thanks everyone for the info...you dont have to be rude about it! lol despite what you have told me im still going to try it...even if i dont succeed! i know some Canadians that are working in the DR with the tourism business and are doing fine...im not wanting to move there for the money or to one day become rich. I am going to go to college and explore my options. Im not saying that I want to work IN a hotel or manage it...just maybe be a tour guide or one of those people who tells the tourists at the airport about the hotels then goes to the hotel and sets them up with different tours and activities for them to do...im not to sure anything related to that would be fine! but what are all you doing in the DR for work ect.? ohh yeah and I am a girl...and i did like the "chocolate" while i was there lol but that still isn't the reason for me wanting to go there. Of coarse when I do go to look for work im going to have enough money saved to last me a while just incase nothing comes up and I need to come back home!
Blaine, just follow your dreams and after u get a little mature, please move to the dr and try to do what u really want to do. Many of the people post here do not take anything seriously and they do not understand that this is just something that u would like to do in the future. I have seen many young professionals out there. You DO need to educate yourself a little further and after that, the sky is the limit. Just try and not rush things and u will be fine. If u really want to do it, you will do it. A little advice:: do not let ANYBODY discorage you. Take care and good luck.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Finish school!

After school the DR will still be here and you can survive much better with an education...Hill Billy said it best! Believe me once you get out of High school go directly to college it is much harder if you "take off" a year like I did. Almost killed me getting back into school after experiencing "life" for a year!